Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,071  
Would be cool to see rendering of each of those. :D

Ok, so Jay and Ron et al, do you guys only render on the weekends? I wish I had your CAD skills so I am jealous of your abilities to rapidly generate these.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,072  
Stu, looking at the glass options, the one that mom would like I think, would be "Clear II", but to get that, we have to step up to the 9600 series door.

2nd choice would be "Clear I".

Would be cool to see rendering of each of those. :D

Notice in the notes on your Wayne Dalton page that all window styles are not available with all panel styles.

If you do a "Google Image Search" for "double garage doors" you can pick from many styles. Try to pick ones that are a straight on view in the pictures so there won't be a lot of perspective distortion. Just save them, crop out the door, re-size it to fit, and paste it over the
plain brown colored door you picked before. You can change the paint color to whatever choices you might like by clicking on your paint swatch colors with the color selection tool. Reduce the opacity of the paint so the image shows through, make a selection of the door and paint.
Try these..
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,073  
Another vote for glass in the garage door, it's just enough light :)

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,074  
Ok, that is it for changes to the exterior! :D

f45c11e7.gif

:laughing: I knew it.

I'll have some time tomorrow to play around with some things, if Super Ron hasn't gotten to it. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,075  
Peter,
I thought you would have the doors with windows done by now?
Oh, well.:confused3:
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,076  
Here's the ones with 4 windows in almond and taup.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,077  
One last note tonight.
Peter's pictures may be larger than some of the small laptops, tablets, and I suspect smart phones that are being used to view them.
Since he has horizontal lap siding, it is best to view them at actual image size, rather than the automatic "fit to screen size" that most browsers like to do. If you are seeing any wiggle or distortion in the siding lines on your monitors, click on actual size to eliminate it.
Jay,
You should have a bunch of realistic looking garage doors in your program goody bag.:cool:
I got these off of Google.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,078  
So this:

day77-101.jpg

That is the question. :D

This one, although my choice didn't win.

And apron in front of garage

day77-4.jpg

Peter:

The garage apron looks too short and that this was skimped on to save a buck. I'd make it 20' long so when a car is parked outside for whatever reason it fits completely on the apron. As they have it formed, the front wheels will be on concrete and the back wheels on gravel.

Peter,
You might want to consider what the total front view will look like with the garage door you said you have chosen, in regard to having the stone in a horizontal line across or the up and over approach. The door and the bold colored stone you have now picked encompass the majority of the front view of the house as well as being the most frontal objects from the approach view. The selection and amount of stone coverage becomes very important now along with the surroundings. Do you want something that calmly blends with the environment or that boldly sticks out becomes the decision.

Ron:2cents:

Another downside to most houses is that they are designed to fit onto an average suburban lot without alleys. This has the unfortunate consequence of making the garage and automobile the most prominent feature of the house instead of the more human scaled front entryway. Having the courtyard helps to offset this visual deficit. Around here, houses with a prominent garage are called "Snout Houses."

I don't feel like looking through the pictures again to see if site conditions would have allowed for a side load garage. It wouldn't have eliminated the "snout;" but it would have allowed a window on the front facade to camouflage the garage. At this point in time a side load garage is a moot point.

Not sure if it has been ordered yet, but what we picked was a Wayne-Dalton 9100 series with the contemporary panels and R9 insulation, no glass in the top panel, almond color (I think, could have been Taupe or Desert Tan), check with builder now.

Steel Garage Door Model 9100 & 9600

Go with the windows as the natural light in the garage will be a blessing and the windows will help the visual appeal by making the doors less prominent looking.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,079  
Appreciate the garage door renderings Ron! We are going to hold off on selecting the garage door until the last minute after the hardy plank and been redone and re-painted. Maybe also wait until the rock work is done. This way we can make sure to pick the right color and make an informed decision on putting windows in it. Garage door not being installed on move-in day is not a big deal (unless occupancy can't be certified without it, but I doubt it).

mjncad, on the concrete pad in front of the house, don't forget we will be putting in blacktop next year once everything settles.

Here's a shot I just took of my house showing the very similar setup I have. It works/looks great I think. Please ignore the 300 gallon tub. I'm working on the rock work in my fish pond and needed to put the fish somewhere in the meantime. It has only been sitting there for 2 years. Won't be long now before I'll get around to it. :D

myhousepad1.jpg

A shot the other way. Looks like spring is finally coming!

myhousepad2.jpg

Oh, and I did have one shot in my camera from mom's house from yesterday. This one is showing the spacers they put in all the eaves to ensure ventilation airflow after they blow in the 16" of cellulose.

day78-1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,080  
Peter,
This brings up the question of location and shape of the turnaround on your mom's driveway?
I know you have an elongated teardrop shape with a curved tail, which looks great from the air, on your house.

Since you are cutting away the hill in front of your mom's house, is the plan to have a turnaround/parking pad right in front of the entry garden?
I would think it would be better located to the right of the garage back far enough that an easy 90 degree arc could be accomplished with the steering when backing out of the garage. 2 cars wide and deep enough to the right to make an easy arc to the left to head out the driveway.
Circular driveways near the house are great with a long driveway/lane situation but great care must be taken again, to not take away from the house, by making it look like a dentist's office:D
Ron