Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,091  
How would you post "viewable - full (screen) size" images" within your posts, Ron? As you can guess, you've lost me a bit (city/country not withstanding :D).

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,092  
Ron, I just sent you a PM, in case I was being a PITB. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,093  
Here's the real image without all the gobbldy-gook info beside it. You will see all the background in this one, if your screen is big enough. If not open it full and scroll.
Ron

This is the best rendering I have seen yet. I love it, but there are some flaws in comparison to reality. IIRC, the garage has a concrete apron of about 5 feet in front of it. The driveway will be paved (which will be darker than your rendering) and the sidewalk will be stamped concrete - dunno the color.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,094  
4-10-2013bypacerron_zps6e144142.jpg

Schweeeeet.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,096  
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions on this project. All seem to have been considered as the construction heads towards completion. Have all the changes been reconciled with the builder? I had a great experience with a mountain house build as the dollars and changes were fair to both parties. On a paint job, car restoration the final bill was about 3-4K high. I was sick!
I would love to have a ballpark number on just the house when completed if you decide to share.
On another note, I don't think my skin is thick enough to accept all the suggestions on color, the triangle, garage door or width of the concrete apron. The wall height save; however, was worth any critisism or doubts. Mom will be very happy with the end result.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,097  
This is the best rendering I have seen yet. I love it, but there are some flaws in comparison to reality. IIRC, the garage has a concrete apron of about 5 feet in front of it. The driveway will be paved (which will be darker than your rendering) and the sidewalk will be stamped concrete - dunno the color.
-Stu

Stu,
That's the reason I said it could be a preview of things to come.
Peter's stated intent is to put the parking area over in front of the garden enclosure wall. He posted a picture showing a loader digging out the dirt from the hill to make a level area for the parking/turnaround. I and a couple other brave souls questioned this location and said it would be better put to the right of the garage in our opinions.
I was just depicting an idea of what it might look like to the right of the driveway. We used the forms of his forshortened apron and sidewalk to outline the blue/grey ( color of the stone via the eyedropper ) areas we overfilled as concrete.
Since his final apron is of unknown length a couple years from now, switching the remaining color of the driveway in the foreground to blacktop would be just a guess. The apron as it is to be poured now is too short as pointed out by others. Since the final color and design of the stamped concrete walkways will probably be determined by the final color of the house and trim/garage door, it would be folly to try and guess it now. The stamped design would likely not be visible from the viewpoint of this photo in any case, unless he mows the grass a lot shorter.:laughing:

We appreciate your comments and criticisms and are glad you are paying attention to fine detail. That is what makes or breaks a good looking house in the end. Our main concern due to education and experience is mainly concerned with structural issues, but the two go together for a good final product.
We can see by your postings that you are a good and valuable, real live friend, to Peter and I'm sure he really appreciates it.
Keep your posts comming.
The thunder, lightening, and heavy wind are very close here now, so it is time for me to shut up and shutdown.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,098  
I understand that the stone on top of the garage door would be costly and a more significant change at this stage of the game. What about just a decorative trim like this? This is all PVC so it is low maintenance.

P1100154.JPG

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,099  
I have never noticed any "X" cross bracing between the floor joists in any of your basement shots.
They may have told you that they glued and screwed the subfloor down so it is not needed.
But... You want a totally stable floor since you are going to tile most of it.
Ron

I agree that bridging would be a good idea; but at this stage of the game, Pete may have to settle for strong-backs if his Mom notices too much bounce in the floors. If he can get in there, than bridging could be made from scabs of waste 2x4's; but I believe metal ones are available that are easier to install and don't require tons of work at the miter saw and off-angle nailing/screwing.

I like TJI engineered joists for a number of reasons; but the thin subfloors (23/32" or less) that are common now still makes for a flexible diaphragm.

:thumbsup:Ron, nice stuff. Have you considered using a site like photbucket to upload/host your images? Once you upload them to an image hosting site (free), you can then get the "links" to post your stuff as "full size pics" within posts. It's much easier on everyone's eye's/mice, if you haven't tried it.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing As a software guru, you'll get it pretty much instantaneously.

I use Google's Picasa Web Albums as they are simple, ad free, and just work.

I understand that the stone on top of the garage door would be costly and a more significant change at this stage of the game. What about just a decorative trim like this? This is all PVC so it is low maintenance.

P1100154.JPG

I think this is a good alternative, especially since I believe Pete has nixed the stone over the top of the garage door.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,100