Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,211  
I think the stair well will be fine. It is covered and will not be affected with the drainage the gravel fill in the garage offers. I don't see anyway water will collect in that area. If you want to cover it and are afraid of moisture consider Hardi panels. They are cement based and will not be affected by moisture. They paint well and are durable against dings.

MarkV

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,212  
Yes, that was quite the project!

The rebar in place: (yes, I started with a much thinner column that I had to knock back out as I did NOT use a vibrator)

20bars2.jpg

Ready to pour

ready.jpg

Here I am running the vibrator.

vibe.jpg

All done

zpier1.jpg

Yep, that is it perfectly. Slipping the massive Sonotube over the existing about killed me. Dunno how we did it, but we did and that is all that matters. Just for record, do you recall how many bags of concrete mix you used. I am thinking something like 80 but I could be way wrong.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,213  
Yeah, 80 sounds about right right, not counting the 4x4x4 cube underground. :D

With all this fascia talk, I decided to stop by another house this builder has under construction that I pass every day on my way to work, to see how they did it.

250house-1.jpg

Looks like they used the 1x2 boards on this, but no fascia material, just painted wood.

250house-2.jpg

Shot from the back side

250house-3.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,214  
I took a look in the dumpster, and found these:

day84-1.jpg

I also found at least a 12 pack worth of these. I hope one of the guys was just cleaning out his car and they were not consumed while hanging the drywall... :D

day84-2.jpg

This is the mud they are using

day84-3.jpg

More rake fascia shots. These are the back sides of the roof

day84-4.jpg

day84-5.jpg

Front view without the sun. It rained again last night, so another setback for being able to begin working on the septic field.

day84-7.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,215  
Peter:

You won the line of the day "I also found at least a 12 pack worth of these. I hope one of the guys was just cleaning out his car and they were not consumed while hanging the drywall...". I am still LMAO. I know exactly what you are referring to. For those on the forum to join in on the comedy, let me just say this. Peter was building out his home theatre and had some drywall guys in. Well, one guy decided it was necessary to chug a Bud prior to starting the job at about 8 am. I am by no means somebody to cast aspersions as it all turned out quite nice.

Now on to the fascia, you have every right to be disappointed as the latest pics look awful. I am not sure why a builder who has done this much good work has done so poorly in this area. I would urge you to check EVERYTHING that those guys did and have the builder correct as necessary.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,216  
Looking at the metal fascia on our existing house, we have the 1x2 bend at the top too. Haven't seen ripples in 12 years. The top has a single return to support the shingles, with no "T".

Our new house has all stained pine soffit with Craftsman overhangs an rafter tails, and we used brown aluminum drip edge. It has been fine, but I noticed yesterday on one of the dormers that the drip edge has buckled and raised up about an inch. Must be from heat. Will need to get the builder to deal with that when they hit their punch list at the end of the project.

I have not seen many beer bottles on our project, but it wouldn't bother me too much. I've actually been bringing hard cider to some of the subs, and when I am out there working, I normally have a beer at the end of the day once my tractor is loaded. Our subs have been great, and don't seem like the kind of guys that I'd worry about. My father was a builder many years ago, and I had plenty of time to see the full range of subs. When they show up in the morning smelling like an empty six pack, that's when I'd worry!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,217  
I wonder if an additional piece of trim along the deck skirt to cover the edges would be a good idea?
I show it here just on the short diagonal and in a lighter color, only so it is visible in contrast to the deck board ends
showing.
Usually, the deck boards on a house stick out over the edge of the skirt an inch or so for a.................... that funny word
"drip edge".......... so the skirt doesn't get all stained by water + foreign matter such as bird .... ( I better not spell it or they will take it out.)
It also looks more finished and eye appealing, like a house with an extended rake versus one without it. Since your deck board
ends have the T & G profile they might look better covered. IMO

My little railing pasty is not the wire type you intend or the color that goes with the house. Just a little aluminum type quick grab
to see the perspective.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,218  
Peter:

You won the line of the day "I also found at least a 12 pack worth of these. I hope one of the guys was just cleaning out his car and they were not consumed while hanging the drywall...".-Stu

I have never seen drywall guys who drink Heineken. Wow. Bud - OK. But Heineken? They have expensive tastes.

MoKelly

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,219  
I also found at least a 12 pack worth of these. I hope one of the guys was just cleaning out his car and they were not consumed while hanging the drywall...

That's nowhere near enough beer for the amount of drywall you've got in that house, I would estimate 8-9 six-packs worth from the pictures. Of course the standard unit of measure is Bud tall-boys, so you have to apply a conversion factor for bottles of Heineken.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,220  
Looks like they used the 1x2 boards on this, but no fascia material, just painted wood.

250house-2.jpg

Are you sure that's wood and not Hardie Trim? This is how I do mine.

Eddie