Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,241  
My advice if you are using an unfinished cedar is a water base poly. I prefer a flat or satin finish to retain a natural look. Cedar will darken considerably with any oil based product or sun exposer over time. Of course it depends on the look you want. The other advantage to a water base product is it can be sprayed with relative ease.

Kiln dried cedar isn't going to move that much so I would on be concerned with the standard way to install it with butt joints.

MarkV

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,242  
This is the partition wall I was speaking of being removed. You can see by looking at it side by side to the same view with plasterboard applied that it had numerous functionality..
1. It shortened the ratio of length to width of the sloped ceiling.
2. It provided a balance with the wall that separates the living room from the flower room.
3. It blocked the view from the living room of the end of cupboard wall in the breakfast room.
4. It gave justification to the sloped ceiling stopping at the ridge in the dining room and transitioning to a flat ceiling like the wall on the flower room end.
5. It helped control the light coming in the dining room glass door from making bright areas on the living room back wall. I believe the breakfast room is on the NE wall of the house.

The tongue and groove knotty pine that was so popular between the 1960s and 1980s was similar to T&G barn siding. In fact, basically the same stuff but a higher
quality because the size of the knots were limited/graded. To get the routed V groove in the middle of the plank that matched the profile of 2 T&G pieces after they were joined
the boards had to have a 3/4" thickness so there was enough material below the V for strength. The V actually provided a relief in the grain and helped prevent warping.
I routed V grooves like that in the skirting around a deck, from the deck to the ground, I have that has sloped ground below it. Also on the steps of the 1 x 6 treated lumber. Looks pretty good when stained and helps keep that crazy treated lumber from warping. No skunks have taken residence yet.:laughing:
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,243  
The original plan look with the partition versus the way it is without.

The original wall I added back in would not be obvious with the proper toning and shadows, but it would be hard to do that.
You see the difference this way more pronounced, anyhow.

In the end, depending on furniture arrangements and groupings, either way may look fine.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,244  
Ron, if you don't already know about it, sketchup is a free 3-D program. You seem like you might be the kind of person with the patience/desire to learn it, it does some very neat stuff.

Trimble SketchUp

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,245  
Ron, I thought you were lurking.....no?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,247  
Man, you guys are too funny. Just had a chance to get caught up on this thread. Didn't realize the comments about the beer bottles would bring out the best in all you guys. Lol!

Appreciate the advice/suggestions about the T&G. The main reason we decided to get rid of the separation between the dining area and living area was that the fireplace is there, and will have rock going all the way to the ceiling.

My thinking on how to avoid butt joints is to run a trim piece up the ceiling where the original separation was, to cover the edges. We plan to keep the pine as light as possible, just a clear coat of so sort, to match the kitchen cabinets. The mantel will likely be a solid piece of pine that will be clear coated to match, as will the trim around the built in 19" equipment rack.

When I meet with the builder yesterday, he confirmed that he would replace all the rake fascia.

This spring rain is really pushing back being able to continue with remaining excavation work... :(

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,248  
Day 85

We decided to extend the apron a little to be flush with the flower bed to the left of the walkway to the main entrance

day85-1.jpg

day85-2.jpg

I noticed the trim board at the deck edge warped quite a bit. They will be fixing that of course

day85-3.jpg

Inside, it looks like they are done sanding and getting ready to spray on the primer coat

day85-4.jpg

day85-5.jpg

day85-6.jpg

day85-7.jpg

day85-8.jpg

Looks like they already sprayed the ceiling in the sun room

day85-9.jpg

day85-10.jpg

And they are getting ready to add those additional lights in the attic space

day85-11.jpg

I guess they forgot all about the dryer vent. I hope they plan to replace that busted up looking cover.

day85-12.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,250  
No you're not, dammmit. Get your butt back in here.