Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,261  
:laughing: A bit early for a dram o' scotch...but just a bit. :D That's a good shot using photo editing software, Ron. You've got a lot of patience/perseverance. :thumbsup:

I'd be all over the pizza, but my wife is just getting home, so I suppose she'll make me eat a salad. :mad:

Jay,
With layers it's easy to cover the goofs. Distorting the original wood shape with the handles is the tricky part with photo software.
Here's a couple looking from the front entrance. Making the choices for real is going to be a serious decision.
Time to feed the other animals now.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,262  
Obed,
You certainly do have a drip edge formed on your facia. Go look again or zoom in for a closer shot.
Ron,
By drip edge, I am thinking of a separate piece, probably aluminum, that gets nailed on top of the roof sheathing along the roof edges and overhangs the facia. We do not have the drip edges I just described. What you see in the pictures is just the bent facia protruding horizontally at the top of the facia under the overhanging shingles. Maybe the bent facia is also called a drip edge? If so, then we have drip edges.

313194d1365980539-building-stick-frame-house-woods-2013-04-14_182445.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,263  
Ron,
By drip edge, I am thinking of a separate piece, probably aluminum, that gets nailed on top of the roof sheathing along the roof edges and overhangs the facia. We do not have the drip edges I just described. What you see in the pictures is just the bent facia protruding horizontally at the top of the facia under the overhanging shingles. Maybe the bent facia is also called a drip edge? If so, then we have drip edges.

Obed,
Go out to where your gable end intersects a spouting end on the first floor or out the dormer to this one, if being on your roof is safe for you. Lift up the edge of the roofing a little to see if the edge you see sticking out from the ground doesn't double back and go under the shingles an inch or more. You shouldn't see it on the spouting edge because it is put on before the roofing felt.
On a good job, you will not see it from the ground in either case. You have to look under the shingles on a gable end. Even then, if they put it under the felt, you won't see it but can tell it is there.
A single thickness of the coil stock is very thin and you can bend it with your fingers so if your trim is only 1 layer thick on top, as you say, don't put the weight of your body arm on it or you will bend it.
When it is double in a T shape you can usually even put a ladder against it without damage, but really shouldn't from your safety and your shingles that stick out beyond would put your body weight against it possibly bending it down.
One of the reasons that Peters plain Z bend is such a mess is because when they install it they are pushing up from the bottom against the plastic soffit material between it and the 2 x 4. The soffit panels are also thin and quite mushy except at the ribs.
So picture pushing something as pliable as coil stock, with one 90 degree bend, up against a mushy surface and the top end of the Z is pushing up against shingles that are hanging over the edge in an uneven, untrimmed, unsupported mess.
Then try to get nails into the flat surface as you work your way down the fascia with probably another guy doing the same thing on the other end 10 ft. away, working up. ( As a one man job it is even worse). Peters pictures show the results......:thumbdown:
When the fascia has a T top, the top is nailed down first to the top of the roof. This lets everything normalize. Then if the fascia is face nailed or nailed from the bottom as BuilderML does it,
if the bends were in the right dimensional locations, nothing gets squeezed by nailing or has been forced over a lip, so it looks good and doesn't wrinkle except at the end where the bottom bend back had to be cut off to fit flat over the soffit box trim. That even is not a normal thing.. Sometimes they leave the tail of the gable fascia just a little too long and when the spouting is put up on the soffit
ends it usually is cut a little longer than the soffit fascia so you see a straight line when looking up along the edge at the side of the roof. If the back of the spouting pushes against the too long of tail it says "ouch" and warbles a little bit since there is no bottom of the Z to support it.
See my little attachments showing in a black line what your metal would look like without or with a T top.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,264  
Wow, those are awesome renderings of the ceiling Ron! It is something real close to that I had in mind. I did discuss the T&G with the builder briefly. He plans to make the butt joints random and cut them at 15 degree angles instead of 45. Something about it being less noticeable that way when/if it shrinks.

Day 86

They put on the gutters today

day86-1.jpg

I think they got out the Everclear and meth again however...

day86-2.jpg

Inside, all the walls got the 1st coat of the final color. There are 7 distinct colors used in the color scheme mom came up with

day86-3.jpg

day86-4.jpg

In this next shot, keep in mind that the fireplace wall will be covered with stone from top to bottom

day86-5.jpg

I gave up on waiting for the drywall/painters to cut out the rack, so I took care of it myself. Unfortunately, I also just realized that the dedicated 20A circuit to power the AV equipment is in the wrong wall. It should be facing into the room behind the rack. Will point out to builder tonight.

day86-6.jpg

Kitchen

day86-7.jpg

Master bedroom

day86-8.jpg

Trim is supposed to be in tomorrow. Builder did say he trained all his guys how to do everything, so the same guys that did the framing will probably end up doing the finish trim. I'm a little scared by that remark...

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,265  
That's looking nice Peter, I like your Mom's color choices. :thumbsup:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,266  
I think they got out the Everclear and meth again however...

day86-2.jpg

That is absolutely mind boggling. What on earth did the gutter guys think the drains were for??? Instead they just cut them off (hopefully not too low) and ran elbows off of the downspouts. Makes no sense whatsoever.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,267  
That is absolutely mind boggling. What on earth did the gutter guys think the drains were for??? Instead they just cut them off (hopefully not too low) and ran elbows off of the downspouts. Makes no sense whatsoever.
-Stu

My experience is that hanging gutters is a separate trade and what happens to the water once it leaves the downspout is not their concern. Even if there is pipe in place they just terminate with an elbow (which presumably gets thrown away). I suspect that they learn that they don't want anything to do with the underground portion of the job, if there are problems the costs of fixing it are much greater. If they never touch it they can't get blamed for anything.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,268  
My experience is that hanging gutters is a separate trade and what happens to the water once it leaves the downspout is not their concern. Even if there is pipe in place they just terminate with an elbow (which presumably gets thrown away). I suspect that they learn that they don't want anything to do with the underground portion of the job, if there are problems the costs of fixing it are much greater. If they never touch it they can't get blamed for anything.

I see your point. However, it looks like they just cut the drains off as judged by the piece of cut off pipe laying there. There looks to be enough pipe left in the ground to attach to (at least in this one picture). Now they have to come back out and install new longer downspouts with the adapters on the drain pipe to fit up with them. When I had my house done and did my Mom's house, this was a non-issue even though it was a sub. It was just done properly the first time. Seems to me that common sense and having a drain pipe in every location where downspouts are would have been a STRONG hint as to the proper thing to do,
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,269  
I gave up on waiting for the drywall/painters to cut out the rack, so I took care of it myself. Unfortunately, I also just realized that the dedicated 20A circuit to power the AV equipment is in the wrong wall. It should be facing into the room behind the rack. Will point out to builder tonight.

I missed this on the first read. I suppose either the plan showed the outlet on the wrong side or the electrician was woefully unfamiliar with rack mount equipment. Since this is in the LR and is not recessed into a closet like yours and mine are, I suppose you are going with all fanless equipment except for perhaps a HTPC which are generally very quiet. So what all goes into the rack? I could probably pull some strings for you and get some tweaked Adcom's from my friend. I am assuming you are doing networking elsewhere since it would not look very good to have a punch down block and a switch in the LR.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,270  
English translation? :laughing: