Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #131  
Beautiful pictures!!!!

As for the gravel, there are different types of gravel and different reasons for it's use. There is also some confusion with the terms compaction and settling. I think Obed makes a very good point in that the gravel will settle some and that it's a good idea to run a compactor over it. But don't expect to get compaction out of gravel of similar size wtihout any fines in it. It can be pushed together tighter, but you will never get "compaction" out of it. For those that disagree, try to pick up some gravel after it's been compacted. It will come up easily. But if you compact soil or road base gravel with fines, you will find that it comes up in chunks after a lot of effort to get it up.

I'm not sure what type of foundation is going to be used, so there are several options here. From what I'm seeing in the pictures, it looks to me like the foundation will be spread out over the gravel and there isn't any footings. This isn't something that I have any experience with, so I'm watching the thread with interest to see how it's going to be done.

Eddie

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #132  
Beautiful pictures!!!!

I'm not sure what type of foundation is going to be used, so there are several options here. From what I'm seeing in the pictures, it looks to me like the foundation will be spread out over the gravel and there isn't any footings. This isn't something that I have any experience with, so I'm watching the thread with interest to see how it's going to be done.

Eddie

Im pretty sure they are installing a concrete pre-cast wall foundation. They are delivered in panels and are set directly on top of the crushed stone with no concrete footings needed. I have seen this done but have never been there the day the panels got set into place. I would imagine that it gets compacted where the walls sit but i also think they use that small stone to prep the slab/footing area to limit airspace between the stone. By the way, great thread, and great looking spot for a house!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #133  
Is this gravel 57s? If so it is 95 percent compacted when dumped on the ground. If it is 21a or crusher run then must be compacted by plate tamper or by roller to achieve 92 to 95 percent compaction. Hopefully this helps

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #134  
Beautiful pictures!!!!

As for the gravel, there are different types of gravel and different reasons for it's use. There is also some confusion with the terms compaction and settling. I think Obed makes a very good point in that the gravel will settle some and that it's a good idea to run a compactor over it. But don't expect to get compaction out of gravel of similar size wtihout any fines in it. It can be pushed together tighter, but you will never get "compaction" out of it. For those that disagree, try to pick up some gravel after it's been compacted. It will come up easily. But if you compact soil or road base gravel with fines, you will find that it comes up in chunks after a lot of effort to get it up.

Eddie
I don't know if you are using the term gravel as a loose term or that is what you call crushed stone in Texas?
Up here gravel comes from a river and is roundish in shape and of various sizes. You do not/can not compact river gravel.
That is why it is used under basement floors. It and a plastic barrier between it and the basement concrete floor are what
makes a basement a dry livable space rather than a damp moldy cave for storage.
Crushed stone is the product that comes in various sizes and is meant to be compacted for paths and roads. It varies in type
based on where in the country you live. Here it is white limestone. It will compact, especially if fines are mixed in but that is not what you want under a basement floor. Many types of aggregate are used in making concrete. Due to river gravel becoming more expensive than limestone some companies thought they would be smart and substitute limestone for gravel a few years ago. The sharp cuts and corners of limestone which is great rural road paving does not make good poured concrete unless you enjoy having an excessive amount of cracks.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #135  
The concrete wall panels have "footer" on the bottom of the panel. they sit directly on the gravel.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #136  
That's a pretty area. My wife is from the other side of that mountain. the southern part of nelson county is the setting for the waltons tv series.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #137  
On the one experience I have with Superior Walls 10 years ago, they compacted the gravel under the walls the day they set them. Superior Walls had specific instructions on this.

2" Foam board was added to the inside side of the walk out beneath the concrete, I think this was a county requirement. The footer for the walkout was also 3' deeper to get below the frost line.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #138  
Duplicate post

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Appreciate the feedback guys. They did compact the gravel under the walls before setting them. I missed the beginning, but here are some action shots of the progress so far today.

Approaching the site:

day28-1.jpg

Picking up a wall:

day28-2.jpg

What has been put up so far:

day28-3.jpg

Bringing the next wall over. Each of the main walls are about 6000lbs and the concrete is 5500 psi.

day28-4.jpg

Setting it:

day28-5.jpg

Next wall. It takes them maybe 5 minutes per wall.

day28-6.jpg

Truck just about empty.

day28-7.jpg

Only thing left are the footers for the pipes to support the sub floor so that they can get started before the concrete is poured.

day28-8.jpg

2nd truck backed into position:

day28-9.jpg

Some more walls being set:

day28-10.jpg

day28-11.jpg

day28-12.jpg

And the last wall!

day28-13.jpg

Looking good.

day28-14.jpg

Perfect fit

day28-15.jpg

Next they measure all the diagonals and compare them to a computer printout sheet that shows what they should be. Spec is to be within 1/4" everywhere, so they bring in or put out the walls as needed. It is not shown in any of the picks, but they started out by carefully measuring the floor and setting metal spikes that the walls are set on.

day28-16.jpg

Only thing left now is the garage, which I'll take some pics of later today when I get back on site.

Last edited:
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #140  
Very nice. I am really liking this Superior Walls system. Those are the standard, R-5 walls, right?