Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,401  
I got there just in the nick of time to fill the cracks with foam. This is the stuff that I got:

Shop Dow 12 oz Gaps and Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant at Lowes.com

They also agreed that it would be a good idea to replace the outside trim wood with hardie, so that's what they'll do. The trim they were installing today was looking a lot better. Still found a couple of places that needed a little shimming. I'll be sure to do a walk through with the builder before the painters come back and caulks everything.

The downspouts are 3" x 4" and the soil pipes are 3" diameter. I didn't realize this until I got to the house with a 3" x 4" x 4" diameter adapter that I picked up at Lowe's. I discussed with builder who was onsite, and while you can special order the 3" x 4" x 3" adapters, we decided to use the ones Lowe's has, and then run 4" soil pipe to below ground level, and then reduce to 3" into the existing pipe. This should also allow us to adjust the 3" pipe slightly to make a more straight look.

Good idea about the riser rings for the septic tank Ron. I'll add that to my list. One day I'll need to have my tank pumped I'm sure. I have lived in the house for 14 years, so that day is probably soon, especially now that I got 3 females living in the house with me. I have a good idea about where the drain field is since the grass is always nice and green there, but finding the clean out cover is going to take some detective work.

Yeah, I'm pretty laid back, so don't hold back with your comments. Go ahead and get them off your chest, you know you want to. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,402  
The downspouts are 3" x 4" and the soil pipes are 3" diameter. I didn't realize this until I got to the house with a 3" x 4" x 4" diameter adapter that I picked up at Lowe's. I discussed with builder who was onsite, and while you can special order the 3" x 4" x 3" adapters, we decided to use the ones Lowe's has, and then run 4" soil pipe to below ground level, and then reduce to 3" into the existing pipe. This should also allow us to adjust the 3" pipe slightly to make a more straight look.

That is the perfect solution, sir. Job well done (or at least it will be). See, folks, I am not always negative.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,403  
I got there just in the nick of time to fill the cracks with foam. This is the stuff that I got:

Shop Dow 12 oz Gaps and Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant at Lowes.com

They also agreed that it would be a good idea to replace the outside trim wood with hardie, so that's what they'll do. The trim they were installing today was looking a lot better. Still found a couple of places that needed a little shimming. I'll be sure to do a walk through with the builder before the painters come back and caulks everything.

Good idea about the riser rings for the septic tank Ron. I'll add that to my list. One day I'll need to have my tank pumped I'm sure. I have lived in the house for 14 years, so that day is probably soon, especially now that I got 3 females living in the house with me. I have a good idea about where the drain field is since the grass is always nice and green there, but finding the clean out cover is going to take some detective work.

Yeah, I'm pretty laid back, so don't hold back with your comments. Go ahead and get them off your chest, you know you want to. :D

With the size of your house, number of bed and bathrooms, you probably have a dual leach bed ( depends a little on the perk test but more on the latter data). Maybe you just haven't discovered the valve that should be turned twice a year yet. If you have the valve the septic tank will be behind that a foot or so toward the house.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,404  
Here are a couple (lousy) shots of the craftsman style trim we just finished up. We used 1" thick stock for a beefy look on windows and doors, while baseboard is 3/4" thick. On the short door (which is a short attic access door) you can see a biscuit in the upper left corner of the trim, and sanded face on the upper right corner.

photo.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,405  
That's the way to do it. :thumbsup:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,406  
See page 223 of Obed's build, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/157965-home-woods-223.html. He had a very good trim carpenter and there are many good pics of how I think the trim should be done. Certainly takes longer to do it right, unless you're going to have to re-do it 2 or 3 times before the owner is satisfied. I think the trim work is the most demanding part of the build because it's not just skill, but also an art. And the trim really makes or breaks the build, IMO. Sorry you're having to go through the "bitching" phase at the end of the build. I have a serious question: If this trim work is standard on the "Custom Ranch", what does the trim look like on the "Standard Ranch"? Semantics, I know, I know.

mkane09

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,407  
Here are a couple (lousy) shots of the craftsman style trim we just finished up. We used 1" thick stock for a beefy look on windows and doors, while baseboard is 3/4" thick. On the short door (which is a short attic access door) you can see a biscuit in the upper left corner of the trim, and sanded face on the upper right corner.

Nice job. Those biscuits will keep everything even and the joints together in a couple years when the house starts to move a little.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,408  
That's the way to do it. :thumbsup:

Where have you been?
I downloaded the 26 help videos this morning early before it counted against my Hughes daily limit. So look out, the next time it gets rainy I'll be pullin 3D from flats on sketchup.:cool:
It installed in the x86 32 bit programs folder in the GOOGLE sub folder:( I looked in the program folders and there are a lot of goodies for scenry and other stuff. They have some application specific .skm
so I really can't see them without opening the program and applying them. Haven't done that yet. You better pray it doesn't rain or I don't get bored, though.:D
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,410  
Looks like Peter will be posting very soon as I have already previewed the pics. My guess is that there will be a concrete truck or 2 on site tomorrow for some sidewalks and such. I still don't like the butt joints on the trim as I think it should be mitered (sp?) at a 45 like numerous folks have mentioned.
-Stu