Page 144 of 239 FirstFirst ... 4494134141142143144145146147154194 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 2387
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CNH 4020

Default Re: Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

Quote Originally Posted by tractorshopper View Post
    I also don't like the anti-siphon spigots. Had the exact same ones and nothing but trouble with them. Just had the plumber replace all of them for leaking profusely. They freeze and break, then leak everywhere including back into the crawlspace and down the face of the house. Only one of four wasn't broken, but I went ahead and had it replaced too because it was just a matter of time. House was built in '07.
    I imagine anti-siphon spigots are code, even though he has a well. On city water systems that often extend out into the country, it is required so some idiot won't leave a hose hooked up with the business end stuck in some contaminated puddle of something while some nearby water line is drained for maintenance. That's a long straw but it could happen. Out in the country on a well, they really shouldn't care if a homeowner poisons himself, but the theory is that as suburbs develop the near by city is usually petitioned by the residents to get city water and sewer. The recovery cost of the extensions won't be recovered by the cities for many many years if ever, but they have to do it. Then they move the city limit sign out beyond the project in some cases, usually only if there is industry or dense population, to get more recovery from taxes.
    Anti-freeze spigots are a different topic. That is related to local climate. Up north we have anti-freeze spigots where the shutoff plug and washer are as much as 2' back inside the house.
    In the Carolinas they may not be a normal install, I don't remember.

Funny thing about water. I was stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB for a few years, many many years ago when my kids were real little. The water system there had an excess of flouride so all the mothers were instructed not to give babies and little kids the base water as it might blacken their teeth. My kids did drink some of the base water along with bottled water, which was almost an unheard of product in those days. Anyway, they have never had a cavity and their teeth are as white as normal some 40+ years later.

I am glad to live far enough away from any city that has water and sewer to never have it out here. The taste of chlorine in city water is enough to keep me from drinking it.
    Ron

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230 & B2320

I was interested in the drywall adhesive used rather than screws. As I said I don't do this for a living so I was open to learn anything new. I noticed in the picture of your front door that the drywall seems not to be too secure to the wall opening on the far right. Is this a failure of the adhesive or a shadow in the picture. It looks like a rather large gap.
    -day90-6-jpg

Your documenting this project has provided me with a renewed interest in construction. As I get stiffer and find myself using my wheelchairs and scooter more and more I am considering either a major remodel on my existing house or having a new one built to ADA specs. Your project has given me a long list of things to consider when making my decision. Thanks for the effort.

Tractor
    JD 5085M, JD 1445, JD GT235, JD LT166

Wow, lots of excellent feedback. I'll be sure do do the various checks suggested and report back.

Day 92

Cement truck showed up around 7:45 this morning

As he was pouring the apron in front of the garage, I took another look at the generator pad, I though something was off. Went back to the house and got a level. Sure enough, it was indeed off. Told the concrete guys, and they would let the builder's crew know once the got there. I left the level on the form. That was a close one!

Stopped back by later in the day, and the concrete guy had done him magic again. If only the "finish" carpenters were anything like this.

I did check the level on the generator pad, and they had indeed corrected the out of level.

Inside, the team (same guys that did the trim), had started on the ceiling. First issue was that they had put in on backwards. I had specifically told the builder we wanted the flat side exposed. So they ripped down what had already been put up, and started over again.

Closeup showing we're already off to a bad start...

Some of the scrap (I hope) pieces

Pressure tank. This was another fail. It should not have been mounted where it it now. It should be moved over next to where the water heater is going. This was communicated to the builder many times, but the word never got to the plumber

The door in the breakfast nook has the same bow...

Back outside, I realized that the only used 2 of the correct collars on the outlets and light fixures

They used there everywhere else. Fortunately it looks like they will come off easily. Of course once the correct ones are on, they will need to be painted the correct color.

JD 5085M w/ H260 MSL Loader, Frontier AV20G Grapple, Frontier AP13G Pallet Forks, Woods BH1050 Backhoe, Woods SG100 Stump Grinder, Woods RM990 Finish Mower, Woods RB850 3 Way Hydraulic Blade, Woods LR108-2 Rake, Maschio H205 Tiller, Bush Hog 3209 Cutter, Vermeer 906 Chipper, Valby SGR76 3pt Grapple, Shaver 601H Post Digger, Tufline 8' Disc Harrow, Vicon Vari-Spreader MK-II 400, JD 45 16-3 Bottom Plow
    2002 Silverado Duramax 3500 Crew Cab LT 4x4
    BigTex 22.5K 25' Gooseneck Trailer

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

Let the floggings begin.

Your concrete guys do some great looking work, Peter. Very nice stuff.
    ____
    Jay

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2135

Quote Originally Posted by J F View Post
    Let the floggings begin.

Your concrete guys do some great looking work, Peter. Very nice stuff.
    Jay, I could not agree more. That is by far the BEST concrete work I have ever seen, no question. If only they did trim work, too!
    -Stu

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

Yeah, he definitely rocks.

I was lamenting the fact that I don't have any close-up shots of trim miters in my "carpentry photo thread" for Peter so see, and looky what I found...a close-up of a column base and top.

This was the removal of a "plain" column and replacing it with something a bit nicer.

To be really fair, this was going to be stained, so it has to be good, it would be unfair to expect this on all your miters for paint-grade work, but it shouldn't be that far off.

____
    Jay

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2135

Quote Originally Posted by J F View Post
    Yeah, he definitely rocks.

I was lamenting the fact that I don't have any close-up shots of trim miters in my "carpentry photo thread" for Peter so see, and looky what I found...a close-up of a column base and top.
    ****, that is scary good. Amazing, indeed. That is how it is done. Take note, Peter.

Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
    Tractor
    JD 2210

Yep, that concrete looks great to me! pc, all the rest will work out in the end.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
    "I wouldn't want to be within 400 or 500 yards of one of them newfangled nuclear bombs when it went off!" WW1 Vet...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CNH 4020

Isn't it about time to keep the doors closed? The rattlesnakes may be coming out of hibernation and start looking around in the house.

Or did they already arrive on day 80

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

Quote Originally Posted by FairfaxStu View Post
    ****, that is scary good. Amazing, indeed. That is how it is done. Take note, Peter.
    Thanks Stu, it also makes it much easier when you're "mitering" around a square box that you built yourself. It ain't hard to get good miters on sheetrock though, it can just take a little bit of "fudging". Any decent carpenter can do it, if that is what the boss is requiring.

Quality levels are usually dictated from the top on down, I'd really be questioning the onsite super/manager, whatever he is.

Is it is a new guy (the super), maybe he doesn't feel he has the experience/authority to question the subs.

I'd still think the sub would realize that eventually they're going to answer to whomever signs their checks. It will be interesting to hear from Peter, who says what about the fixes.
    ____
    Jay

Page 144 of 239 FirstFirst ... 4494134141142143144145146147154194 ... LastLast