Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,611  
Yep, I am lost. Are you saying that the chimney need not exceed 2' above the ridge in Peter's case? Also, is the same true for gas fireplaces or is this wood only?
-Stu

The 10/2 rule in VA and other states is the minimum required by code. You can build a house to minimum codes if you want but probably won't be very happy with parts of it.
A lot of other factors have to be considered:
1. The chimney builder has to follow the drawings given to build by. If there is a problem in his mind he needs to discuss it with the builder. Lawsuits from home owners and insurers tend to involve everyone that had responsibility and received compensation from a project.
2. The builder must know what is required of the equipment/fuel/appliance being used in the chimney as well as the code and be compliant with all, as a minimum.
3. If there are extenuating circumstances such as prevailing winds sweeping over a roof and causing a down draft that has to be dealt with in addition to the minimum.

In the end you want a chimney, whether real or fake, to do the job it was intended to do safely and efficiently, while looking attractive, even if it requires going beyond the minimum codes. Minimums are for non-thinkers and non-achievers.:2cents:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,612  
srs has already addressed my concerns on the railing issue. The posts appear to be bolted but need a better pic. The railing looks dangerous to me. Over time, the pressure treated wood will get brittle and become loose from the screws. You really need a handrail on top to tie in the railing and the post all screwed in from top so there is strength from side forces. If you don't like the hand rail look - you should get the railing brackets and drop the railing in.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,613  
radioman, I think Peter should possibly install some galvanized or stainless steel metal angle pieces behind the top railing on the outside (the woods side) and "lag" them into the posts. That way should Pete's mom and guests lean against the railing the steel angle pieces would prevent the railing from collapsing. I agree with you the railing is dangerous and a disaster waiting to happen.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,614  
I have to say I am not a fan of wooden decks, even those with non-wood flooring.

They are expensive to build, labor intensive to keep looking good, and all eventually will need repair or replacement. In deep snow, long winter areas, you may even have to clear the snow load off of them a couple times a winter.

I'm a deck grouch. :laughing:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,615  
Pete,
Your black metal deck rails look great and should not obstruct the view too much. Are you going to put cap rails on the top of the porch rails? They are very useful for providing a place upon which to set drinks or plates (depending on the width of the rail). Plus, the cap rails help the looks in my opinion.

We have 2x6 cap rails on our porch and a 2x8 cap rail on our deck as shown below.

IMG_3511.JPG IMG_3619.JPG

Obed

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,616  
Pete,
Your black metal deck rails look great and should not obstruct the view too much. Are you going to put cap rails on the top of the porch rails? They are very useful for providing a place upon which to set drinks or plates (depending on the width of the rail). Plus, the cap rails help the looks in my opinion. We have 2x6 cap rails on our porch and deck as shown below.

View attachment 315887

Obed

Your eyes are a lot better than mine. :laughing:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,617  
radioman, I think Peter should possibly install some galvanized or stainless steel metal angle pieces behind the top railing on the outside (the woods side) and "lag" them into the posts. That way should Pete's mom and guests lean against the railing the steel angle pieces would prevent the railing from collapsing. I agree with you the railing is dangerous and a disaster waiting to happen.

I suspect that the code will require a similar attachment. My county required me to install some sort of metal attachment bracket on all rail posts. My inspector provided me with a copy of this article.

Code-Compliant Guardrail Posts - Anchors, Framing, Locksets And Hardware - Professional Deck Builder Magazine

My local builder supply had the Simpson solution on hand. They are pricey and in some cases overkill.

Lee

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,618  
Looking at the last pictures the Colour of the leaves make it look like Autum???

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,619  
Pete, I have several issues I noted from your photos.

1. If you put steps on the patterned concrete side of the house, then the whole front of the deck and the far side will have to use those steps. I can tell you from experience that walking all the way around to get to steps is a PITA sometimes. I like the terraced steps down the slope, but I think I'd really consider another set of steps on the other side of the house. I would not put them directly in front because it would seem to unbalance the way the house looks.

2. Maybe the height of the fireplace is limited due to the weight of the stone. That's a lot of weight to be supported only by the deck. I don't remember if the concrete walls of the basement had any part of the load bearing for the fireplace stone veneer.

3. I absolutely hate the color of the walls around the fireplace. Maybe all my taste is in my mouth, but I think the wall color clashes and actually 'trumps' the look and color of the stone. Of course, I don't have to live in the house. If that is what your mother wants, it's perfect. End of discussion.

4. I would be all over somebody about the way the stone work mates to the T&G ceiling and trim. They plastered over and around the molding. What are you gonna have to do to remove the molding? Take the rock off? In my opinion, the molding should stop before the rock. Also the amount of mortar there makes the the fireplace look unfinished. I hope some type of molding is planned for the fireplace edges. To me, that job looks like the fireplace was added on after the house was finished rather than being part of the original build and finishing plan.

Sorry to be a grouch,:mad: but I would not be happy with that fireplace, inside or outside.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,620  
Jim, the molding does stop where the rock begins. I know it doesn't look like it in that one closeup pic. Maybe he went over just a little with the rock? The green wall on the right side of the fireplace will be painted blue to match the rest of the walls in the dining area. Also, the green on the left side got painted the darker of 2 green colors used by mistake. It will get repainted a lighter green before the job is done.

The builder said the reason they put the vent 2 feet above the chimney is get it away from any combustible material used to cap the chimney. I told him to at least paint it black, but will discuss with mom if that is sufficient for her. IMO that chimney cap ruins the look of the back side of the house from a distance.

The pickets in the railing are powder coated aluminum. The did complete the railing today and while it looks good, it does not seem very sturdy. I believe they used lag bolts into the 2x12s, and the 4x4 posts push out rather easily when leaned against. Didn't get any detailed shots of how they are attached, but will do so tomorrow.

Day 101

Some shots of the completed railing

day101-1.jpg

day101-2.jpg

day101-4.jpg

day101-5.jpg

Steps to the kitchen and deck from porch

day101-3.jpg

I disked, raked and tilled the front and back yards today. Tomorrow I'll run the rake to pick up the rocks and sticks the tiller pulled up, and then probably do a 2nd pass with the tiller at a deeper setting.

day101-6.jpg

day101-7.jpg

On the inside, they almost completed the bathtub walls

day101-8.jpg

And they got the Ditra down

day101-9.jpg

Guest bath tile floor is about 75% done

day101-10.jpg

And the Ditra is down in the sunroom as well

day101-11.jpg

There will be 6x6 build up as a retaining wall in the corner of the parking area where the spigot is. That should prevent accidents.