Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,661  
Pete what made you chose southern lawn extreme? I have two lawns in this seed could not be happier. The people at Landscape Supply are very knowledgable. Did you use the one in Roanoke?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,662  
After you get the seed down run the rake over everything to incoporate the seed with the soil . Then rollit and put straw down . Then give it a good soaking .

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,663  
I would hope they wait till after the plasterboard is patched, sanded, and painted the final time. Light fixtures, sockets, and tile joints covered with PB mud dust and paint on the mounting screw
tabs of plugs and switches wastes a lot of time removing and looks like a shoddy job if they don't. All the do over work is going to require a lot of time for someone to clean the house with more than just a shop vac before move in day. Hopefully the contractor has somebody on staff that will do a top to bottom cleaning before the house is turned over for move in.

The homeowner or hired help is usually left with removing those pesky stickers from the windows and cleaning them inside and out but with all the fascia redo, concrete stain that will now probably have to be painted over, possible siding and sliding door removal and other things on the list near the home, even cleaning the windows ahead of those items is a waste of time.

Are you the OP.. I guess I should have directed my question to pclausen directly...

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,664  
Are you the OP.. I guess I should have directed my question to pclausen directly...

He is the guy who was going to keep his opinions to himself that was about a hundred + posts back. :laughing:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,665  
He is the guy who was going to keep his opinions to himself that was about a hundred + posts back. :laughing:

And the OP has requested that I continue posting, twice since then.
Just click on my name and click the Ignore button, like I just did yours, and you won't see anymore.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,666  
And the OP has requested that I continue posting, twice since then.
Just click on my name and click the Ignore button, like I just did yours, and you won't see anymore.

Come on, guys. I know the OP as well as anybody and I would think he would say something like this. Let us just keep this as a civil discussion among gentlemen. If we disagree, sobeit. There is no need for harsh language or anybody to get their feelings hurt.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,667  
Right on Stu. I do appreciate everyone's feedback, good or bad. A lot of it has been very helpful in making changes along the way and to identify things that should have been done differently/better.

Day 104

Today was a long day working on the yard, from 7am to 7pm, with a brief 20 minute lunch break! :D

I spent the 1st hour picking up more rocks and roots that I missed yesterday (you will never get them all!). I then connected the spreader I picked up from tsc yesterday to my lawnmower. It holds up to 135 lbs, and it almost holds a 50 lbs bag of seed. I do have a pto spreader, the kind with the articulating arm, but it is buried at the back of my shop, and it needs some work before being fully functional. So I figured I'd give this pull behind a shot.

day104-1.jpg

According the user manual, for seed, I should use a setting of '3'. Well, that didn't result any any seeds being broadcast, so I went straight to '10', and the seeds started flowing at a moderate rate. Even at the max setting, it still took 6 or 7 passes at different angles to get 200 lbs of seed down. I'm quite sure I got good even coverage due to that many passes. :D

day104-2.jpg

After the seed, I broadcast the starter fertilizer. Here a setting of "10" was way too much, but "7" was just about right. I had 175 lbs of that spread pretty quickly. I then applied 80 lbs of lime is the areas where the soil was very clay/red like.

I decided NOT to rake it again after that based on past experience where that has resulted in the seeds getting clustered together in places. So I went to roll everything next. My little JD lawn mower was not able to pull the ~1000 lbs roller, but the 4wd mower had no problem.

day104-3.jpg

So here's what it looked like after rolling

day104-4.jpg

day104-5.jpg

day104-6.jpg

Turns out the roller had a bad weld. Don't think I'll go through the hassle of trying to take it back to tsc. I think I'll just fill it with sand instead for future uses.

day104-7.jpg

It was now past noon, and still no straw blower. Went back to my house for a quick bite to eat and finally got a hold of the builder/super who told me they had still not completed the other job, but he assured me they would make it over later afternoon to do my job. I then decided to do a quick lookup on-line to see what the official guide was for how many bales it would take to blow just under 1 acre. The results was anywhere from 40 - 100, depending on the origin of the bales. So I figured better be safe than sorry, so since I had some time before they would get there, I went to Lowe's to pick up another 30 bales. Since I had the camera with me, I took another shot of mom's house from the road across the filed. You almost can't see it anymore with all the leaves out.

day104-8.jpg

Back with the spare 30 bales

day104-9.jpg

While waiting for the straw blower, I took the opportunity to to through the yard again, and pick out more rocks and roots that had been exposed from rolling everything.

Finally, around 5pm, the blower finally showed up. The bonus was that it included a crew to operate it since it was so late getting to me. So in about 1 hour, they were done!

day104-10.jpg

day104-11.jpg

day104-12.jpg

day104-13.jpg

day104-14.jpg

day104-15.jpg

I'm VERY glad I went back to Lowe's for the 30 extra bales. We ended up using more than half of them, so the total was about 65 bales or so.

Last edited:
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,668  
Peter:

The timing could not be any better given the rainy forecast for the week. And not that I am counting, but when one tractor is not enough, you bring in 4. I call them small, medium, large and XX large. So if this takes, are you going to do it to your own yard?
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,669  
Looks good Peter, heck of a day's work! May your next three rains be slow and gentle ones. :p

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,670  
The lawn looks good. A question on the straw and the blower, is it cutting the straw up or just blowing it as is? It looks finer on the ground in the pictures. Will this eliminate the need for lots of watering? I just redid a lawn and thought about straw, but wasn't sure how to use it or what purpose it served. It looks like the blower did a nice and even job of covering too. Interesting to hear about the bad weld in the TSC roller, I was considering buying one, but may opt for a higher quality after hearing that.