Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,691  
Day 105

Tile work continued. They started on the Tuscan Blue today. They asked me if I wanted to alternate the English Grey with the Tuscan Blue where they meet to kind of "weave" the colors together. The alternative of course would be to rip the tiles at the split. What would you do?

day105-7.jpg

My wife and I both think that you should rip the tiles down the middle. Then you would have a clear line defining the two rooms. Of course what really matters is what your mom wants. Rick

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,693  
:D Yeah, it's always an option. (I'm a yank in dixieland, so I get the idea :D)

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,694  
I just took these shots Stu. You're right, this is a whole different level of finish, or should I say level of craftmanship? lol . The irony is that the work you did for me is always covered up with the speaker grills where mom's will always be on display.

Well, you get what you pay for. No, wait. I did this as a freebie like a lot of our projects together.:laughing: I helped you, you helped me. That is the way it has always been.

BTW, dunno if it is still raining down there but we are getting a nice moderate rain now here. Hopefully this will help to get your mom's lawn started. I suppose you will have to water it with sprinklers from the well come next week. Or, knowing you, buy an old water truck to use for the next couple of weeks.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,695  
And, now that you are within about 2 weeks or so of the moving date, have you already spoken to a moving company so that you are on their schedule? Now is probably a good time to think about that. Back in the day, I worked for Student Services in C'ville. They do good work and are enthusiastic and strong. And if you tell me you are going to move it yourself, I will tell you that you have no clue what you are in for. A good moving company will come in, pack everything up (dishes, clothes, nick nacks, etc.) a day or 2 in advance. Then they will come back on the day of the move to load everything up and get it to the new place.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,696  
What does it look like where the roof meets the chimney on the upper side? The chimney is fairly wide and I'm wondering how it's flashed with regard to how it could potentially catch / trap rain & snow.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/day103-8.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,697  
Chim, there's a ridge build up that extends down and out at the base of the chimney. I'll see if I can capture a better picture showing that.

I'll check w/ mom to see which way she wants to go with the tile.

Stu, rain is starting to get heavy down here. I hope it won't get so heavy that the seeds start to flow away. They still don't have the downspouts on the back side. Really annoying. I mentioned it again to the builder yesterday and he said they told him they will take care of it as soon as it stops raining. I told him to tell them to get some rain coats and get it done. :D

Mom already secured a date with Student Movers, which is set for the 29th. So that should provide a bit of cushion in case there are further delays. They will take care of everything in the house except for the electronics, which I'll move. I'll also take care of all the stuff in the detached 4 bay garage (lawn mower, tiller, etc, etc). I think I can get it all in a single trip with my trailer, although making the turn into her driveway will be challenge. I was bare able to make it with my previous trailer, and this one is a bit larger.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,698  
Chim, there's a ridge build up that extends down and out at the base of the chimney. I'll see if I can capture a better picture showing that.

I'll check w/ mom to see which way she wants to go with the tile.

Stu, rain is starting to get heavy down here. I hope it won't get so heavy that the seeds start to flow away. They still don't have the downspouts on the back side. Really annoying. I mentioned it again to the builder yesterday and he said they told him they will take care of it as soon as it stops raining. I told him to tell them to get some rain coats and get it done. :D

Mom already secured a date with Student Movers, which is set for the 29th. So that should provide a bit of cushion in case there are further delays. They will take care of everything in the house except for the electronics, which I'll move. I'll also take care of all the stuff in the detached 4 bay garage (lawn mower, tiller, etc, etc). I think I can get it all in a single trip with my trailer, although making the turn into her driveway will be challenge. I was bare able to make it with my previous trailer, and this one is a bit larger.

The roof structure is called a cricket.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,699  
I'll also take care of all the stuff in the detached 4 bay garage (lawn mower, tiller, etc, etc). I think I can get it all in a single trip with my trailer, although making the turn into her driveway will be challenge. I was bare able to make it with my previous trailer, and this one is a bit larger.

A bit larger? That is the understatement of day. Any chance you could just turn around in the field and back in through the gate for the deer fence. Otherwise, you may tear the yard up a good bit. If you are going damage something, I would say the new owners would prefer it to be the field. Can't wait for those kitchen pics...
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,700  
I think I would weave the tiles, or do something different there (like was mentioned regarding a border of some sort). I don't like cut tiles at all - although I understand the idea of a clear distinction between the two rooms as was mentioned (you could achieve this with furniture/rugs/etc., and it wouldn't be permanent). I think the cut tiles could look like a mistake (in design and/or craftsmanship) - I am imagining if you extended a wood floor in the direction of the planks (even if you changed wood types), you would want a transition piece or to weave them into each other, not a line right down the middle.

I think a weave would look like they were planned to allow for a nice flow, vs a hard stopping point.