Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,701  
I have always turned around in the field and backed through the deer fence gate. The issue is making the turn into the driveway from the public road, which has ditches on both sides of the driveway, and the wooden fence, and a pair of newspaper boxes to contend with. I might be able to enter at the neighbors driveway and drive across the field.

I'll see what mom wants to do with the tile. We can lay them in there dry for the weave pattern to see what she thinks.

Well, it has rained heavy at times throughout today, and it has taken its toll in the back yard.

day106-1.jpg

How do you guys suggest I fix it?

Drag it back up with the rake on the small tractor?

Wait until the rest of the grass becomes established and then deal with it? If I do that, I'm afraid it will just keep getting worse and worse with each downpour.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,702  
I think I would let the grass get established, then patch in the run-off grooves/areas with loam and seed that in the fall when heavy rain isn't likely. In the meantime, you could put down thick mulch hay in that area, maybe pin a screen cloth over it, to limit further erosion.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,703  
I think I would let the grass get established, then patch in the run-off grooves/areas with loam and seed that in the fall when heavy rain isn't likely. In the meantime, you could put down thick mulch hay in that area, maybe pin a screen cloth over it, to limit further erosion.

That is exactly what I was thinking as well. For now, just be thankful that mother nature is watering for you.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,704  
I just took these shots Stu. You're right, this is a whole different level of finish, or should I say level of craftmanship? lol . The irony is that the work you did for me is always covered up with the speaker grills where mom's will always be on display.

day105-10.jpg

day105-11.jpg

Now this is quality workmanship! Peter, you should hire him to install your cabinets!!! Stanley

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,705  
Now this is quality workmanship! Peter, you should hire him to install your cabinets!!! Stanley

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Now that I look back on it, it took a lot of time, 1 tablesaw (which is currently in Peter's shop), 3 routers, power miter box, DA sander, and a finish nail gun to get it right. That is nothing compared to the credenza that he and I built. I actually had to develop a spreadsheet with a list of the cuts to be made and in what order. Reason being that it is clad in formica both inside and out. That one took 2 weekends down at Peter's shop but turned out quite nicely, as expected.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,706  
Stu, I understand what you say that it took a lot of time to complete but with such great workmanship Peter and his mom would be so proud to show off your work to friends. I know a plumber and HVAC technician who take a little longer in doing their work but my God the workmanship is shown to anybody who comes to the house. It's a shame that there are some real hacks out there that could care less about how things turn out and only worry about the money and/or getting the job done. You should be very proud of this, I'm impressed. Stanley

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,707  
You should be very proud of this, I'm impressed. Stanley

I am proud of it, especially when you consider that is not my line of work. It is only a hobby that I enjoy very much. I always told myself growing up that I would do what I enjoyed. However, I changed my mind while in college at UVA. I decided that I would do something different from my true interests so that I did not end up hating them or getting burned out on them. I think Peter would pretty much say he took the same route. We are both in the IT field but with different companies.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,708  
Peter I would let the rest the grass establish itself and then do a repair also. What I would consider now that you know what the run off path is going to be is to stake in some straw bales along the route to prevent further damage. I'm afraid if you get out there with the tractor now you will just create more work.

MarkV

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,709  
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,710  
Yeah, drop some bales to slow the flow a bit, and then just walk away until the grass is established and come back to patch/repair later on.

I remember we had an unexpected tropical storm roll by the coast a few days after I seeded a sloped lot one year, and I darn near got an ulcer watching everything go to crap (like you, I do meticulous prep). We got so much rain, the soil separated into silt and loam, which I had never seen before over many years of putting in grass.

Not much you can do about it so try to minimize additional runoff now, then give the ground time to dry out and the grass to get established through 2 mowings before you fix the damage.