Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #171  
Are you going to put a drain in the garage? Now would be the time to do so. Nice when you have a wet/snowy car to be able to let it just drain away. Just a thought.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #172  
Be sure to put in a sediment trap for the garage drain if you go that route.

idaho2

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #173  
I have read recently that non direct drains (tying into the drain tile surrounding the house) in a garage have been made code violations here at least. I don't understand all the details as I am not in the building trade but I was surprised when I heard about it from a friend who just built a new house. He did tell me however that if it had its own separate line and discharge it was allowed. something to do with vapors I would think?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #174  
I have read recently that non direct drains (tying into the drain tile surrounding the house) in a garage have been made code violations here at least. I don't understand all the details as I am not in the building trade but I was surprised when I heard about it from a friend who just built a new house. He did tell me however that if it had its own separate line and discharge it was allowed. something to do with vapors I would think?
Probably the risk of fuel and carbon monoxide fumes traveling down the drain and coming up somewhere else (ie: in the house).
Thats why you have to have a step down into an attached garage.

Aaron Z

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Not a bad idea to have a drain in the garage. The drain in the basement is actually not tied to the 4" pipe going out to the distribution box for the septic drain field. Rather it is connected to the drain pipe that the corrugated pipe around the exterior walls is connected to, which exists just past the silt fence that was put up. If I did do a drain pipe in the garage, I suspect it would need to be tied to that as well. So the code seems to already be like that in Virginia, even for basement floor drains.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #176  
So now a number of great home building threads, each unique. Obeds contracted house, built on a normal schedule with normal methods, Motor 7 amazing hand built home, and now a power build. 90 days with lots of modern prefab ideas being used. Thanks to all three of you (and the many others) who have done such a great job of documenting their personal experience. I know a bit about this, but seem to learn so much more and it helps us as we move toward our modern prefab we are saving for.

One quick question, maybe I glossed over it, but did the put sealant in between each wall piece? Or was the sealant applied over the seams? Also, will there be an waterproofing (black plastic paint or whatever it is they use these days?)

Carl

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #177  
I won't swear to it; but I think the big code issue with floor drains in garages is from the tree-huggers making sure oil, antifreeze, and other nasties aren't discharged into the environment.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
One quick question, maybe I glossed over it, but did the put sealant in between each wall piece? Or was the sealant applied over the seams? Also, will there be an waterproofing (black plastic paint or whatever it is they use these days?)
Hi Carl,

Yes, they added sealant to one of the mating surfaces of the walls before putting them together. That included running a circle of sealer around each of the 4 bolt holes that tied each wall together. Here's a shot of that:

day28-38.jpg

You can see that they also seal the outside bead over the seam as well. The special extra dry 5000+ PSI concrete used to construct the walls are moisture resistant so additional damp-proofing is not required or needed.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #179  
LOL! Yes, that is way more gravel than they used on Jimmy Hoffa. I wish there was a way to just pack dirt in there, but I don't think the building inspector will go for that, even if tamping it every few inches and adding water. Perhaps by the time you figure labor for that, the gravel will be cheaper anyway?

Sand would probably be acceptable as it compacts very well!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #180  
My uncle has a drain in his garage which is what made me think of it. I always dream about having one when I'm shoveling the water out of my garage after the snow melts off my car.