Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,121  
my digital antennas are here
Peter

Antennas plural? Are you installing one at your house as well? I assume you are referring to the Channel Master bad boy array antenna for HDTV. Like I told you before, the pre-amp for that unit is what seals the deal. I can pick up digital OTA (over the air) channels from over 60 miles away in Baltimore and my antenna is in the attic, not outside.

The antenna I used is:

Channel Master 4228HD Long-range outdoor rooftop HDTV antenna at Crutchfield.com

The amp I used is:

Channel Master 7777 High-gain mast-mount UHF/VHF TV antenna preamplifier at Crutchfield.com

-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,122  
Just wanted to drop a quick thanks. I have watched this thread for the past 4 months or so and appreciate all your pictures and write-ups. I looked forward to the updates everyday, Additionally, I learned a lot, as I assume so many others most likely have also. House turned out very nice. Your mom is very fortunate that you were so involved. I hope mom enjoys her new place, as she should. Tell her we all said "Hello".

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,123  
Thanks for including us in on your Mom's house build.

It's been an exciting read, and I couldn't wait to come in off the road on weekends just to catch up on the progress.

It looks very nice, despite the problems along the way.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,124  
Thanks for including us in on your Mom's house build.

It's been an exciting read, and I couldn't wait to come in off the road on weekends just to catch up on the progress.

It looks very nice, despite the problems along the way.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#2,125  
Things are getting close to completion, but there are still things being fixed. The fridge is finally being moved into the house today, and the washer/dryer will hopefully be connected today as well. The builder is assisting today with hanging some of mom's cabinets on the walls, etc.

I hope to have time to take some updated pictures this afternoon. The rain has been crazy these last 4 days or so, although I was able to get in about 7 hours of log hauling yesterday on the high side of the house until I got down to the low side.

Stu, the antennas on the chimney will be the DirecTV one and the one for Internet access. Internet guy came out Saturday, but was unable to pick up either of the access points they have deployed in the area. They will be back tomorrow and try again, using my house as an AP. If that doesn't work, I guess she'll have to settle for dial-up until I can get an "alarm pair" or dry loop going to my house from Verizon.

Verizon came out yesterday to look into the terrible hum on the line. He was unable to fix it and will be back today. Until that gets fixed, dial-up might not even be possible...

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,126  
This has been a great adventure to follow. I learn a lot from these type of threads. We start our build in Eastern Washington state soon and I hope to post a few pics and comments on our small (3 acre) mini farm as we get it started.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,127  
Peter:

All that I can do is chuckle and then feel bad for you on the crappy communications connection options in your neck of the woods. The chuckle part is knowing what you do as a "real job" and the feel bad part is knowing that you cannot do anything about it beyond what you are doing.

So 2 questions: What does dear Mom think of the place? How are you making out on the electronics and deer fence?
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,128  
Peter;

What do you think of the Woods stump grinder? How does it get re-positioned for the next pass on the stump?

I have a bunch of stumps in my future and I am wondering what your take on the grinder is?

Thanks.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,129  
Peter;

What do you think of the Woods stump grinder? How does it get re-positioned for the next pass on the stump?

I have a bunch of stumps in my future and I am wondering what your take on the grinder is?

Thanks.

I am pretty sure he likes it since this is his second one and is much larger than the original:
woods-1.jpg

So, Peter, it is like we are addicted to crack. Pictures please?
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#2,130  
Lol, I took pictures last night, but then I stayed and had a few drinks with the family that had arrived from Denmark, and then I forgot to take the camera home with me when I left. :laughing:

Mom went to use the washer for the first time today, but it made a loud noise and water went all over the floor and into the basement. Not sure what the issue is. Perhaps some transport screws or something needs to be removed before first use?!? Will have to look at it tonight. My wife called me also and told that our washer (less than 5 years old) was smoking during the spin cycle and smelling like burned rubber. When it rains it pours...

Stump grinder is great! Did about 50 stumps the other day. That is one of the few PTO implements that I have that will drain my PTO power and make me wish I had gotten a more powerful one. It only grinds on one direction, you then sweep back across the stump, lower the grinding wheel a few inches, and then go at it again.

Here's a video from when I was first learning to use it. I have gotten a lot better at it now with over 500 stumps under my belt. :D

Stumpgrind.mp4 - YouTube