Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #211  
you just need to provide a less resistance channel for water to go to. Just apply dimpled membrane to the walls on outside and then you can backfill with clay. membrane.gif

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #212  
Drains in garage floors here are illegal. They do not want the oils and antifreeze going down a drain.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #213  
Drains in garage floors here are illegal. They do not want the oils and antifreeze going down a drain.

hawkeye, I hear what you are saying but if you park your vehicle outside or if the garage floor slopes toward the garage door and your vehicle leaks the oils, antifreeze, etc. they still end up leaking into the soil. I assume the inspecting agency is thinking the concrete garage floor will absorb the oils.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #215  
We get snow and rain here, so vehicles come in shop and garage with snow and water dripping off. We slope the floors towards the door and it runs out for the most part. Several neighbors have drains and hid the drain during inspections. They are also the same folks that think nothing of letting spills (oil when changing oil, etc) go down the drain. I rather properly dispose of my fluids and put up with not having a drain for the water to drain away. I am not a fanatic but do know where my well water comes from.

I have no issues with the water draining somewhere along with incidental other fluids....

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #216  
One way to relieve any water pressure against the walls of your foundation is to use a foundation drainage mat attached to the foundation wall. When I built my house we have clay soils and our neighbors had wet basements so I used it. It is a dimpled heavy plastic barrier that allows any water near the foundation to just drop to the drain at the bottom of the wall. We then just back filled with the subsoil. In 17 years I have had no water in the basement and when it rains the sump pump is doing its job. Just an alternative to the many tons of gravel that others have suggested. Rick

Hmm. Learning something new there. Thanks. And thanks for the illustrations RadioMan.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #217  
One day for the foundation is amazing, this will sure speed things up. What a great veiw you have there, the walk out basement will be nice also. Great job on the pic's.

Dave

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #218  
We get snow and rain here, so vehicles come in shop and garage with snow and water dripping off. We slope the floors towards the door and it runs out for the most part. Several neighbors have drains and hid the drain during inspections. They are also the same folks that think nothing of letting spills (oil when changing oil, etc) go down the drain. I rather properly dispose of my fluids and put up with not having a drain for the water to drain away. I am not a fanatic but do know where my well water comes from.

I have no issues with the water draining somewhere along with incidental other fluids....

It's sort of silly. Conscientious people will do the right thing. The others will dump it somewhere anyways. What happens to the salt and silty sand that runs off the road surfaces in spring? It ends up in the water drainages and ground water. So, if it melts off your car, goes down the drain and then to the ground, same difference.

I have heard of requirements to send garage drains into the septic or sewer system. Bad for the septic, and could well end up being spread as sludge on fields if sent to the sewer/treatment plant. Come to think of it, that is where septic tank pumpings go also.

I have a jug of used antifreeze from the tractor that I have sort of worked at finding out how to properly dispose of, for two years now.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Keep all the good advice coming! I don't mind it one bit. :) I'm sure I'm already on the builders "not friend" list, although he still calls me boss man anytime we talk. lol

There will be a secondary drain on the high side of the house that will divert water around to the lower side and exit 50' or so away through a underground pipe on the downhill side of the house.

All downspouts will be connected and run through a seperate underground pipe that will also exit 50' away from the house.

This is in addition to the already installed drain system along the outside perimeter of the basement walls, that also exist 50' away from the house. This system is tied into the floor drain in the center of the drain fields.

This should keep almost all water away from the house except maybe during extreme storms with high windows that will splash water directly on the walls of the house.

The Superior Wall product comes with a 10 year guarantee against any moisture/water issues, as long as it is installed as per their instuctions, which this house is.

All that said, I will ask the builder what he things about backfilling with river rocks and if he would charge me more for that. I really think that having those 3 independent drain systems will cover and prevent 99% of all water from ever reaching the basement walls in the first place.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
I suspect that a lot more antifreeze and oil makes it into the ground from cars being worked out out in the open (i.e. shadetree mechanics) than what might come from floor drains in garages...