Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,341  
Stu does water back up into the vanity sink? If it does it would seem that the obstruction would be past the vertical connection. If not it is in the piece up to the trap or just beyond. Rick

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,342  
Rick:

The sink drains just fine. That is what leads me to believe that the problem is likely somewhere in the PVC line that runs horizontally to the drain. I also dumped a bunch of strong, albeit not as strong as what I am using now, down the vanity sink and it had no effect.

Fingers crossed that my approach will work. Will update you guys tomorrow with the results.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,343  
I'm the type that likes to do all my repairs myself, but there is a time to call in a pro with a power auger to clean out those drains. Every time this has happened to me, it's taken them about an hour to get it all cleared out and cost me about a hundred bucks.

Eddie

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,344  
I'm the type that likes to do all my repairs myself, but there is a time to call in a pro with a power auger to clean out those drains. Every time this has happened to me, it's taken them about an hour to get it all cleared out and cost me about a hundred bucks.

Eddie

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,345  
hmm I wonder if you need additional venting for the washing machine to drain better.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,346  
Liquid fabric softeners do leave congealed gunk behind, at least the brand my Mom is addicted to does. :laughing: I could see hair and fabric lint collecting on that.

Stu, I thought the pic you posted was current, didn't realize the wall was sealed up now. If this becomes an on-going problem, an access panel to the trap may be in order. Pain in the butt, but less than $100 by far.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,347  
Yeah that pic was from 12/8/97. That drain has been in service since then without issue. I just finished up rinsing out the super strong drain cleaner with [hopefully] lucky 7 batches of boiling hot water from my tea kettle. Here in a bit (read: when I grow a set), I am going to reconnect the drainline from the washer and try a short cycle to see if I fixed it or not.

If what I tried does not work, I am left with no other option than to call my plumber and schedule a service visit. In the meantime, I was thinking I could stick the drain line out the window (you can't see it in the pic but it is close) so that I can at least do some laundry.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,348  
Well, the first test was a success. I am on the second now with a bunch of towels. If that goes well, I can breathe a deep sigh of relief.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,349  
Success!

Now on to some serious Natties to celebrate!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,350  
Success!

Now on to some serious Natties to celebrate!

That's good you were able to fix it on your own, they make some serious drain openers. Are you going to use something other than liquid fabric softener now?