Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #231  
In my area the same gas stations that accept used oil also take used antifreeze at no charge. I take mine to a Shell station.

Amazing! Trying to find a place around here to take used antifreeze is like pulling hen's teeth. The auto parts stores will gladly (up to a point) take used oil; but won't take used antifreeze, yet they gladly sell the stuff.

Regarding the OP getting the floor slab poured...excellent! Will you sawcut the control joints, or were they tooled in after you took the pictures? I sure hope you went with sawcut control joints.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #232  
Amazing! Trying to find a place around here to take used antifreeze is like pulling hen's teeth. The auto parts stores will gladly (up to a point) take used oil; but won't take used antifreeze, yet they gladly sell the stuff.
<snip>

Oil and hydraulic fluid is easy for me, just leave it at the town recycle shed and people with waste oil furnaces are glad to get it.

Antifreeze, nobody wants. I asked at the Ford dealership, where I have been a regular customer, and the answer was, "Sorry, but we can't take it." I thought surely they must have some sort of disposal procedure for antifreeze, I even offered to pay a little something. Maybe their "disposal system" is the city sewer line?

The dealership where I bought the tractor closed years ago, so no chance there.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #233  
Drains in garage floors here are illegal. They do not want the oils and antifreeze going down a drain.

How many cars/trucks leak oil and antifreeze? And for those that do, how much comes out that it is going down a drain?

Used to be that vehicles leaked something all the time. Now it's so rare that when you find a drop, it's a big deal. Same thing with how much carbon dioxide comes out of a vehicle. People used to be able to kill themselves by starting a car in a closed garage. Now it's impossible. They burn so much cleaner that it's not even a concern to start a car inside a closed garage.

I don't have snow and don't see any need for a drain, but if I lived in a snow area and it was a problem, then I would run the biggest drain or drains that I could. seems like a great time to put in some six inch drain pipe and run it off into the woods.

Eddie

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #234  
Same thing with how much carbon dioxide comes out of a vehicle. People used to be able to kill themselves by starting a car in a closed garage. Now it's impossible. They burn so much cleaner that it's not even a concern to start a car inside a closed garage.

Whoa, uh, sorry, gotta just step in on this one, hopefully without derailing the thread too much. But this is wayyy off base. Cars still emit just as much carbon dioxide, man. It's the same exact process, combusting a carbon based fuel with oxygen in the cylinder. It's the raw hydrocarbon and particulate emissions (un-burnt fuel) that are much cleaner these days, but you sure as heck still don't want to suck on your tailpipe. It's still very much a straight stream of carcinogenic poison, and the tailpipe is still pumping out loads of CO and CO2. PEOPLE, DO NOT RUN YOUR CAR IN A CLOSED GARAGE, EVER.

Back on topic... nice floor, pclaus. Looks like you are not too worried about a garage drain given the big slug of concrete already dumped in the middle. My guess is you probably won't miss it.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #235  
Whoa, uh, sorry, gotta just step in on this one, hopefully without derailing the thread too much. But this is wayyy off base. Cars still emit just as much carbon dioxide, man. It's the same exact process, combusting a carbon based fuel with oxygen in the cylinder. It's the raw hydrocarbon and particulate emissions (un-burnt fuel) that are much cleaner these days, but you sure as heck still don't want to suck on your tailpipe. It's still very much a straight stream of carcinogenic poison, and the tailpipe is still pumping out loads of CO and CO2. PEOPLE, DO NOT RUN YOUR CAR IN A CLOSED GARAGE, EVER.

Back on topic... nice floor, pclaus. Looks like you are not too worried about a garage drain given the big slug of concrete already dumped in the middle. My guess is you probably won't miss it.

Come on guys...
People emit carbon dioxide.
Cars emit carbon monoxide.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #236  
Do you all think we are getting a little carried away?

Recycle plastics, but not 1 or 6 and wash B4 using energy (but most plastic packaging is 1 or 6)
Recycle batteries, yeah, I need to drive 20 kms to the special battery bin
Recycle paper, but they put in dump anyway because costs more to ship than the net value
Recycle cans, but they only want aluminum and wash them first
Gasaholll but it takes away from the food chain
Don't idle vehicles more than 15 mins (subject to fine) but gov't exempted: LEO's idle for hour while at dunking donuts, we get fined)
Recycle bottles (5 cent deposit but not on wine or booze as wine consumers are more ecological , Hah!)
Save electricity, use timers and compact florescent bulbs, Yeah gov't buildings are all lit up 24/24
Compact florescent- but don't recycle as they contain mercury ???
Anti freeze, there is no $$ in it for them, so you figure out where to dump.

We have 2 recycle bins here, one for trash the second for recycle and now they want a third for 'compostable' (food stuffs) but nobody wants the compostable dump site in their neighborhood.

Why go after the little guy, the consumer, why not the source as in ban all plastic packaging, mandate renewable materials only!

CAFE regs sounds like a cool solution to fuel savings, OK helps but while I can't figure out how to calculate it I am willing to bet that the bulk of crude oil actually goes to producing all our fancy plastics and other synthetic materials.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #237  
Pete, in traditional construction, there's a sill plate below the wall studs that's continuous so drywall and eventually moldings can be screwed/nailed anywhere along the bottom surface. With your walls, it seems there is nothing to fasten the drywall to between studs, and moldings will have to be screwed instead of nailed (or maybe glued). Am I correct? Maybe I've missed how that is done with this system.:confused3:

You can see a line of sort between the area hit by the sun today and the area that did not.

day31-2.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #238  
Pete,
Have you thought about how the gravel under the garage slab will be compacted to prevent significant settling? Of particular note is the depth of the gravel at the area where the garage meets the house? I had this same issue at my house. We did not do it correctly and I may pay for it eventually.

day28-29 (Small).jpg

Obed

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #239  

Recycle plastics, but not 1 or 6 and wash B4 using energy (but most plastic packaging is 1 or 6)
We can recycle those.

Recycle batteries, yeah, I need to drive 20 kms to the special battery bin
What battery bin? Mine go in the trash because there is no bin.

Recycle paper, but they put in dump anyway because costs more to ship than the net value
Our recycle paper gets used.

Recycle cans, but they only want aluminum and wash them first
We can recycle all cans.

Gasaholll but it takes away from the food chain
Don't idle vehicles more than 15 mins (subject to fine) but gov't exempted: LEO's idle for hour while at dunking donuts, we get fined)
Recycle bottles (5 cent deposit but not on wine or booze as wine consumers are more ecological , Hah!)
Nope, they have better lobbyists. Wine bottles are 15 cents here.

Save electricity, use timers and compact florescent bulbs, Yeah gov't buildings are all lit up 24/24
Compact florescent- but don't recycle as they contain mercury ???
I return those to the store, but I think they get dumpstered.

Anti freeze, there is no $$ in it for them, so you figure out where to dump.
Apparently.

We have 2 recycle bins here, one for trash the second for recycle and now they want a third for 'compostable' (food stuffs) but nobody wants the compostable dump site in their neighborhood.
Who can blame them?

Why go after the little guy, the consumer, why not the source as in ban all plastic packaging, mandate renewable materials only!
This works, and stops waste at the source. See "Better Lobbyists" above, and shoplifters get fingers cut off.

CAFE regs sounds like a cool solution to fuel savings, OK helps but while I can't figure out how to calculate it I am willing to bet that the bulk of crude oil actually goes to producing all our fancy plastics and other synthetic materials.
Our 2006 Honda Civic, 2-dr, manual gets 40 mpg. So, seven model years later it is still more than competitive on mileage.

Stop depressing me. :laughing:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #240  

YES!

Recycling is largely a feel-good politically correct scam.

But I am in LOVE with Pete's build thread and the awesome pix he takes.

So let's all get back to the Build! I NEED to know what the h3ll is hapening with the weather today and the concrete....

Ooooo The suspense!

:D

David