Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #251  
Will you be installing a water softener? My son, worked for a contractor, that installed the water softener, on the basement wall, atached to the garage. They would install, a 8" pvc pipe, at a 45 degree angle from the garage to the basement, just above the softener, it was about 2' above the garage floor. There was a removable cap on the garage end of the pipe. So the owner could, unload the salt, from there car and dump it into the softener all from in the garage. No more lugging bags of salt down stairs, and hauling empty bags back out. This was well liked by the new home owners. Just an feature I wish I had.

Dave

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #252  
Will you be installing a water softener? My son, worked for a contractor, that installed the water softener, on the basement wall, atached to the garage. They would install, a 8" pvc pipe, at a 45 degree angle from the garage to the basement, just above the softener, it was about 2' above the garage floor. There was a removable cap on the garage end of the pipe. So the owner could, unload the salt, from there car and dump it into the softener all from in the garage. No more lugging bags of salt down stairs, and hauling empty bags back out. This was well liked by the new home owners. Just an feature I wish I had.
Dave
Dave,
If you glance back at the floorplan on page 7 a small softner might be handily located in the broom closet in the laundry room. There is an entrance door from the garage
directly across from it and a storage nook for the salt. The nook is probably now expanded to a second car location.
There will probably be a utility room enclosing the pipe risers in the basement to house the water heater, HVAC air distributor, etc. That would be a normal location for a softner but hauling salt across from the open end of the basement would be a hassle, especially after it is finished.

I would require the franchisee to do any drilling through the 1.5" thick concrete panels for exterior spigots, electric outlets, etc. and have him sign that he did it.
Take pictures of all locations and keep on file. That way if cracking occurs in any of those panels, the owner at least has proof that he didn't do it.
Way back in the thread there is a sketch from SW showing what looks to be pockets for two separate floor beam spans. I'm not clear as to what type of floor joist
he is using but if it is standard 2 x 10 bridging the joist, I sure hope they are yellow pine. Contractors don't like them because they are heavy, cost more, and have to be turned the right way but a good floor requires them in my humble opinion.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #253  
Dave
Dave,
If you glance back at the floorplan on page 7 a small softner might be handily located in the broom closet in the laundry room. There is an entrance door from the garage
directly across from it and a storage nook for the salt. The nook is probably now expanded to a second car location.
There will probably be a utility room enclosing the pipe risers in the basement to house the water heater, HVAC air distributor, etc. That would be a normal location for a softner but hauling salt across from the open end of the basement would be a hassle, especially after it is finished.

I would require the franchisee to do any drilling through the 1.5" thick concrete panels for exterior spigots, electric outlets, etc. and have him sign that he did it.
Take pictures of all locations and keep on file. That way if cracking occurs in any of those panels, the owner at least has proof that he didn't do it.
Way back in the thread there is a sketch from SW showing what looks to be pockets for two separate floor beam spans. I'm not clear as to what type of floor joist
he is using but if it is standard 2 x 10 bridging the joist, I sure hope they are yellow pine. Contractors don't like them because they are heavy, cost more, and have to be turned the right way but a good floor requires them in my humble opinion.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #254  
I wish TBN would fix their big of duplicating the replies. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Sometimes they duplicate, sometimes not. This bug has been around too long.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #255  
I wish TBN would fix their big of duplicating the replies. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Sometimes they duplicate, sometimes not. This bug has been around too long.
As a workaround, after you hit submit and the box pops up asking if you want to leave the page, click the X in the corner. Clicking Yes or No will cause a duplicate post.

Aaron Z

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #256  
As a workaround, after you hit submit and the box pops up asking if you want to leave the page, click the X in the corner. Clicking Yes or No will cause a duplicate post.

Aaron Z
The only time I get duplicate post is when it takes so long to post that I hit submit again, then its easy to just go back to edit and hit the 3 buttons for delete post.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #257  

I've been deleting the dups, but it is a pain.

The yellow pine makes for a really solid floor with very little or no bounce in it. I don't think it shrinks when drying as much as spruce (I think it was spruce) either. I had a floor that was part yellow pine and part spruce, because they couldn't get yellow pine in the length need for the span where the spruce was used. After a couple years, there was a good 1/8" - 3/16" difference between the levels of those two floor sections. Should have put a threshold across there, or avoided it altogether.

Anyways, the moral of the story is don't mix your floor joist wood species.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #258  
The only time I get duplicate post is when it takes so long to post that I hit submit again, then its easy to just go back to edit and hit the 3 buttons for delete post.
I have seen it where ~30 seconds after you hit submit (without clicking on anything else) the "do you want to leave this page" box comes up. If you click Yes or No it will then make a duplicate post.

Aaron Z

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #259  
Sounds like 90 days is plenty of time. I didn't read the 258 posts, so my apologies if this has been posted before.

The world record for the fastest house is 2 hours 45 min. The Building Industry Assoc of San Diego County held a contest in 1983. Four 1500SF 3bd2bath houses with landscaping were constructed with the last two build as a race between two 350 person teams.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #260  
I have seen it where ~30 seconds after you hit submit (without clicking on anything else) the "do you want to leave this page" box comes up. If you click Yes or No it will then make a duplicate post.

Aaron Z
Aaron,
What's the purpose of the yes or no in relation to dups, if you get a duplicate in both cases?
I haven't noticed the box you refer to on my Chrome Browser, but that doesn't mean it is not there.
I don't see advertisements either:D Guess I should be more observant.
My browser usually just pops up my reply and many times in duplicate. I'm using hughes sat for transmission so it may
be caused by the built in delay?
It didn't do it though before they changed the TBN site a few months ago; so I don't know... I just grit my teeth and say "blue" as O'Reily says!
Ron