44.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 20030105_MD_snowondeck.jpg
    20030105_MD_snowondeck.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 20030117_MD_snowondeck.jpg
    20030117_MD_snowondeck.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 247
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #382  
If you were to put tarps down it would make it harder to shovel the snow off of it. The advantech is more moisture resistant then basic OSB. You will have to be like Obed and be ready to shovel it off. If you need some help let me know. Rick

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #383  
So might I ask what your long term relationship is going to be with this house. At some point your mother will move on, and you what will become of this house? While everyone has great advice for planning for the elderly, I see homes that are set up that way in a "hard" fashion (meaning unchangeable easily) go for lower prices on the market. Seems idiotic but I guess there are more young home buyers than old home buyers.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #384  
So might I ask what your long term relationship is going to be with this house. At some point your mother will move on, and you what will become of this house? While everyone has great advice for planning for the elderly, I see homes that are set up that way in a "hard" fashion (meaning unchangeable easily) go for lower prices on the market. Seems idiotic but I guess there are more young home buyers than old home buyers.

I'd be curious as to your list of such features and why.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #385  
What? I'm enjoying nice blue skies today. :D

Hmm, just took a look at the forecast and yeah, it looks like we might be in for some of that white stuff on Wednesday. I hope the forecast changes before then. I don't think 12 inches of snow on that sub floor would be the best thing for it. :( I'd like to think the builder plans to shovel the snow off the exposed wood. Back filling is supposed to take place Wednesday, but that will likely not happen if we do get a snow storm.

Trusses are supposed to be delivered and set this Friday. Hopefully that can still happen, even if we do get snow mid week. Keeping my fingers crossed that the forecast changes. I love snow, but if only it would wait until the house is sealed from the elements!

I wouldn't worry about the Advantech floor one bit. We're 7 months int our home build, and that Advantech floor saw a lot of rain (house was still open when Sandy rolled through and we got 8" of rain and we had 2" of water pooled inside). We have had zero issues with it, and bot our builder and his supplier said they've never had to make a warranty claim on Advantech in many many years of use. It is amazingly robust.

If you can get the snow shoveled off before it melts, that will at least keep a lot of water out of the basement. That would be my main concern. Though glued down Advantech is quite watertight, so even that may not be too bad.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #386  
I think it still wouldnt hurt to put something down. maybe the cheap plastic sheeting. its bigger and easier to work with. If you got the time- Put it down before it rains or snow and take it up before workers are due on site. Its your house afterall - a little precaution can go along ways, so until roof is up, I'd spend a little money on plastic sheeting. you never know you need that sheeting for something else to cover.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #387  
I think it still wouldnt hurt to put something down. maybe the cheap plastic sheeting. its bigger and easier to work with. If you got the time- Put it down before it rains or snow and take it up before workers are due on site. Its your house afterall - a little precaution can go along ways, so until roof is up, I'd spend a little money on plastic sheeting. you never know you need that sheeting for something else to cover.

I agree. Some folks don't care or know what water trapped in cracks and covered over by sheetrock, carpet, tiles, etc. may due in the coming months. They just wonder where did the smell or mold come from.
There is probably a lot of cover material in the hopper that was on the bundled, strapped, 2 x material to keep it dry, as shown in the pictures, that could be used to cover a lot of stuff.
That covering and banding of the bundles of soft wood used to frame the walls was put on there for more than just advertising.
Soft wood is like a sponge and the moisture content varies with the environment, as does the twisting.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Spoke to the builder and he was ok with me taking the scraps that I did. I did take all 7 6x6 post scraps, but left a lot of the other 2x craps behind (about half of them).

He also mentioned that Advantech flooring is quite tough as you guys stated. If we do get snow, he will send someone over to shovel it off right away.

He's trying to get the guy over today or tomorrow to back fill, ahead of the potential storm.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #389  
Spoke to the builder and he was ok with me taking the scraps that I did. I did take all 7 6x6 post scraps, but left a lot of the other 2x craps behind (about half of them).

He also mentioned that Advantech flooring is quite tough as you guys stated. If we do get snow, he will send someone over to shovel it off right away.

He's trying to get the guy over today or tomorrow to back fill, ahead of the potential storm.

Pete,
Sounds like you are maintaining a good relationship with the contractor.
I don't know if you have apprised him of the fact that you are posting a running, narrated, image account of his work on the world wide web.
He better give you the royal treatment :thumbsup:
You have almost 33k hits on this site already and who knows how many more on Google as well as the images in a block on Google Images.
Google crawls this site almost instantly so what is posted here can be seen worldwide in minutes without even looking at TBN.
So everybody " brush your teeth and wash your tongue" :D

Great advertising at a great price for the company name if he and his crews do a spectacular job on your mom's house.
Let's hope the snow fizzles out in your area; but it doesn't look that way. A foot of snow with wind could build some big drifts inside your wall framing..
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #390  
I have seen people pass on beautiful homes due to a ramp, railings in bathrooms, widened kitchens. I felt if the owner had removed those items, the price would have been higher. Getting old is not a hot selling point.

In select markets the housing bubble is starting up again. LA, NY, Seattle seem to have major increases in home prices.

I'd be curious as to your list of such features and why.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet