Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #401  
So, I have either read to fast or it isn't here. Who is the architect / company who sold you this system? I know superior on the foundation, but see no indication of who the house is being sold to you by. Got a website?

Carl
You read too fast. :)
I & J Homebuilders LLC
Plenty of info about them on the net.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #402  
Pete,
Sorry if I mentioned the builder before you had intended. It is on the drawings.
This TBN site becomes embarrassing sometimes. While typing a 2 second answer a number of posts end up in between what we are replying too.

I have a framing question..
Have you noticed any insulation being put between the headers over the outside wall windows?
In 2 x 4 stud construction that have wide headers like this, it is usual to sandwich a piece of plywood between the pieces to control warping and fill the void.
On 2 x 6 stud walls like yours, you either have a 2.5" air void between them ( which is not too good ), or an insulation filler in the void.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #403  
So the cat is out of the bag on the contractor. But it left me way more confused than understanding. So this company, IJ, designs its homes custom, then builds them? Or are they part of a larger group? This is where I get confused. 90 day builds seem probable, but only when numerous examples of that floor plan have been built. Or are they using a "modular" software that allows them to design within items that are readily available. Also materials costs. They have to be designing within items they have in stock and have received a package deal on.

I mean a factory build home (prefab) is at least 60 days, plus foundation, and they are not nearly as nice as what you are putting up.

First I am impressed, second I am looking forward to your thoughts on my questions, and finally I am looking forward to the daily process.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #404  
So the cat is out of the bag on the contractor

Personally, I don't trust contractors... never have, never will. I'm sure that many of them are honest, but not all of them.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #405  
Location marked by red square.

outdoorunit.JPG

Pete:

Just a suggestion; but I'd move the A/C condenser into the corner formed by the garage and utility/mud room. The reason I'm suggesting this is to keep the noise down in the bedrooms, especially at night when you Mom is trying to sleep. Also it hides the A/C condenser from the front view of the house.

When we put A/C in our house I debated where to put the condenser. I ended up placing it in a similar corner formed by our garage and master bathroom to keep it out of the blistering hot west sun, which is where my second choice of location was. Although I picked out a very quiet by A/C condenser standards Carrier unit, the noise is still noticeable in the master bedroom.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #406  
AC condensers need circulation. Many burn out because they are to close to the house or surrounded in some fashion.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #407  
Personally, I don't trust contractors... never have, never will. I'm sure that many of them are honest, but not all of them.

I don't either, that's why I became one. There is a need for good quality contractors out there, honesty and quality workmanship has become lost on many of them. With that said, I like what I'm seeing so far in this build.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #408  
Pete:

Just a suggestion; but I'd move the A/C condenser into the corner formed by the garage and utility/mud room. The reason I'm suggesting this is to keep the noise down in the bedrooms, especially at night when you Mom is trying to sleep. Also it hides the A/C condenser from the front view of the house.

When we put A/C in our house I debated where to put the condenser. I ended up placing it in a similar corner formed by our garage and master bathroom to keep it out of the blistering hot west sun, which is where my second choice of location was. Although I picked out a very quiet by A/C condenser standards Carrier unit, the noise is still noticeable in the master bedroom.

I cannot agree with your suggestion. Look at the space you are describing in regard to the distance from the garage rear door and the kitchen window to the corner you propose. The unit needs at least a foot of breathing room all around. That area, as I understand it is going to have a stamped concrete patio so is planned for outdoor use. Even though the new units today are quiet compared to a few years ago, they are still noisy enough to be annoying when bouncing off two walls and a concrete patio underneath acting as a megahorn.
Outside near a bedroom window is not great either but if it is supported on a proper stand mount and has a soft surface under it,
the noise will be much less than the place you suggest moving it too, as well as being away from normal traffic.
The sun changes its path in the sky relative to the house in summer versus winter but the direction of this house has no advantage or disadvantage from being better or worse for the placement of the compressor unit on either side.

If a whole house generator is added, as in her last house, that adds another ugly utility to place. None of these things, including
satellite TV and/or internet receiver dishes add to the landscape or beauty of the finished home but we soon train our minds not to see or hear things that annoy us.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #409  
None of these things, including
satellite TV and/or internet receiver dishes add to the landscape or beauty of the finished home but we soon train our minds not to see or hear things that annoy us.

I never thought about this until reading your comment. When we were looking to cut cable bills I put up an antenna. It had to be large due to our location and I didn't like the looks of it at all. At that time I had never even noticed other antennas in town but soon started noticing every single one. A few weeks later they had disappeared into the background again. I will probably notice them again this morning.

Anyone see my mother in law. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #410  
I don't either, that's why I became one. There is a need for good quality contractors out there, honesty and quality workmanship has become lost on many of them. With that said, I like what I'm seeing so far in this build.

Good contractors are indeed hard to find. I did some contracting when I was younger, and continue to do all my own work... Like you, I also believe this build looks great so far. :thumbsup: