Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Day 45

The builder did show up around 8am and got the snow shoveled out

day45-1.jpg

No pics from today (day 46). All they did was to cut out the rest of the windows and do final prep for setting the trusses on Monday. We plan to mount the meter base over the week end and get the power company scheduled to put in power on Monday. The Cummins Onan transfer switch should be here on Monday as well.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #442  
Day 45

The builder did show up around 8am and got the snow shoveled out.
Pete,
It's good to know that your contractor keeps his word. Thanks for the pictures.
Obed

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #443  
pclausen;3223818 The 15kw generator is connected to a 500 gallon propane tank said:
Pete,
Looked back for your prices for gas and highline electric. You said: "At $3/gallon for propane and $0.89 per kwh, it just did not make sense to have a furnace..."

You must have meant $0.089 or 9 cents per kwh. That's a good price! Is it because of TVA?
We started here 20 years ago at 7 cents on REA and it is up to 11 cents now. They supplied 6 poles, transformer, and a lot of wire included in that and have great service compared to city life electric company. The big company in these parts was a bit cheaper per kwh but was going to charge a fortune to run all the new line, poles, etc.

$450 for your propane is a lot for 4 days, but think how happy the wife and kids were. :thumbsup:
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
You're right Ron, my electricity runs $0.089. Yes, the $450, while expensive, was definitely worth it, to have all the comforts (except Internet, lol), for the whole family. We would have probably had to get a hotel room otherwise, which would have cost just as much, if not more.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #445  
P C looks like you all got a bit of the white stuff, that looks about as bad as our area did after a big Ice Storm about 7 years ago. My woods is still a wreck from that and many around me still hold the problems from it. When I plowed the Farm Drive (it was full moon) and the 10" of snow with half inch of ice was something to deal with. Plowing it BIG sheets would wrinkle up and pop and the top icy surface would ripple 30 yards out as I pushed thru it.

Builder was probably LUCKY to get out there & wouldn't have if you didnt fix the road/line issue for them to get thru...
Mark M

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #446  
I was out your way to ski at Wintergreen on Thursday, and was amazed at the number of pines down all along the roads, including on I-64 on the way in and then traveling through the valley. I've been driving up there to ski for over 20 years and have never seen so many trees down after a snow storm. Must have seen hundreds.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #447  
Day 44
I then attempted to make it down to the building site, but it was not going to happen on the tractor.

day44-8.jpg

So I walked down

Wow. Gotta respect mother nature when she does that to your local environment!

Really glad your home wasn't damaged, thanks for the pics.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #448  
Pete,
I thought I could see where someone had sawed off a tree prior to you getting there.
I adjusted the white balance to get a better view. On the second copy I added a little
local tone mapping to make it similar to HDR.

This picture reminds me so much of my road except mine is just limestone and barely
1 car wide.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #449  
Day 45

The builder did show up around 8am and got the snow shoveled out

No pics from today (day 46). All they did was to cut out the rest of the windows and do final prep for setting the trusses on Monday. We plan to mount the meter base over the week end and get the power company scheduled to put in power on Monday. The Cummins Onan transfer switch should be here on Monday as well.

Where did you get your Cummins Onan transfer switch if you don't mind me asking? thanks

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #450  
You're right Ron, my electricity runs $0.089. Yes, the $450, while expensive, was definitely worth it, to have all the comforts (except Internet, lol), for the whole family. We would have probably had to get a hotel room otherwise, which would have cost just as much, if not more.

Good to hear that the Generac is now working - apparently flawlessly. The last I heard was that you were having some fuel delivery problems. I assume you had a Generac Technician to come by and fix it.
-Stu