Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Where will the opening to the basement be at the bottom of the stairs? Straight toe to the right?
Correct. The opening will be cut in the wall to the right as you get to the bottom, and there will be one step down into the basement on the interior side of the wall.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #512  
I like the way your builder formed up the steps, but the stairwell wall, looks like the plywood should be on the other side of the studs?

Dave

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #513  
Correct. The opening will be cut in the wall to the right as you get to the bottom, and there will be one step down into the basement on the interior side of the wall.

Is the contractor going to use some rebar in the stairwell wall and steps to tie the system together and help avoid cracks?
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
I like the way your builder formed up the steps, but the stairwell wall, looks like the plywood should be on the other side of the studs?
He plans to leave the treated plywood in place after pouring and then sheetrock it. The wooden steps will be pulled once the concrete sets of course. The outer wall towards the center of the garage will also stay in place and there will basically be 6" of concrete over it, and it will probably root away over time.

I'll check with the builder if he plans to use any rebar. I agree some should be used to prevent cracks in the future.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #515  
He plans to leave the treated plywood in place after pouring and then sheetrock it. The wooden steps will be pulled once the concrete sets of course. The outer wall towards the center of the garage will also stay in place and there will basically be 6" of concrete over it, and it will probably rot away over time.
That sounds like a potential place to attract termites?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #516  
I think you're right about the blocks being there for fire protection. As for termites, pc, I am sure you had the foundation pretreated, but at any rate, maybe they don't pretreat anymore what with the baiting stations used so much now days.

Okay, keep them photos coming!!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #517  
Just my two cents here but your builder sure looks to be doing an excellent job.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #518  
Pete, FYI here are a few pictures of my cellar steps from the attached garage to the basement. The steps are approximately 4 foot wide and I have a double door in the basement level that opens up for wide objects. The builder also put a drain in whenever I hose the steps down. I believe the drain goes to the sump pump. Just an FYI for ya!! Stanley

Attachments

• steps 1.jpg
    steps 1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 266
  • steps 2.jpg
    steps 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 204
  • steps 3.jpg
    steps 3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 252
  • steps 4.jpg
    steps 4.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 207
  • steps 5.jpg
    steps 5.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 251
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #519  
Pete,
Your latest pic day 51-5 shows all the windows cut into the garage.
It looks like you have eliminated the original door out the back to the patio, possibly because of the
stairs to the basement?
How much distance are you going to have between the top of the steps and the sidewall of the garage?
Since you are going to have your Genset on that side of the garage near the meter box you will probably have a concrete
pad or walk along there.
I do not like garages without a personnel door.:thumbdown:
Having to raise the double door to get outside from the garage every time is a pain even with an electric operator.
I would think your mom would like having a personnel door to let the dogs in and out, to come in from gardening to the mud room, read the meter, etc.
Living by herself on that back road she may prefer leaving the garage door closed while she is at home, even with the dogs for protection.
I have attached a quick mark up of your pic showing a personnel door where you now have a window.
Would that work?
Excuse my sloppy perspective; I only had 5 minutes to play with the pic.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #520  
I do not like garages without a personnel door.:thumbdown:
Having to raise the double door to get outside from the garage every time is a pain even with an electric operator.

I NEVER use the man door. Been here 23 years and don't miss it at all. I would call that a personal preference item.

mkane09