Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #51  
Nice trailer! 32', oil bath axles, electric or electric over hydraulic brakes? My trailer is almost identical to your previous and I have thought hard about trading just like you did.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Appreciate the complements on the trailer! It has a 20' deck with a 5' dovetail, so 25' total. It has a pair of Dexter 10k oil bath axles. I love the see through axle caps:

bigtex5.jpg

It is actually rated at 22,000 lbs, but is called a 10 ton trailer. I asked the guy I got it from about a 12 ton trailer, and he said they were not very popular due to requiring a CDL to operate. This one comes in just under that...

Brakes are electric, but I have a MaxBrake Controller, which ties into the hydraulics on the truck, so I guess you could almost say it is electric over hydraulic. :) They are very strong!

I'll get the test it out with a full load going to the mill in the morning. I picked out some decent sized logs from the cut pile this morning:

day13-1.jpg

Had to dig a little to get to some of the big ones:

day13-2.jpg

All loaded up:

day13-3.jpg

A couple of different angles:

day13-4.jpg

day13-5.jpg

I'm guessing that's between 16k and 18k of logs. Will find out in the morning when I go across the scales.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #53  
Pclausen Is the trailor you traded in already sold or do you know? May be interested if it is still for sale and which dealer has it. Thanks

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #54  
pclausen,
I'm enjoying the thread. I'm amazed that you are able to haul such large loads of logs with your trailer and truck.

My 12 ton trailer has a 22' bed. I wish I had bought a shorter trailer, maybe 18', maybe even 16'. Mine is just too hard to maneauver. Unlike yours, my trailer is not a gooseneck. I also don't have large loads of logs to haul around.

IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1188.JPG

Obed

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #55  
Ur doing a great job on logging operation and lot preparation.Keep us up to date on the house building project.

Pclausen Is the trailor you traded in already sold or do you know? May be interested if it is still for sale and which dealer has it. Thanks
I don't believe it has been sold yet. The dealer is TrailerTown USA in Ruckersville, VA. They are a large dealer with a lot of volume.

My 12 ton trailer has a 22' bed. I wish I had bought a shorter trailer, maybe 18', maybe even 16'.
I hear you. That's why I didn't want the 35' that had on the lot. This 25' is already cutting it close in places (same as my 24'). I had a 16' Hudson hitch mount before the Better Built. It was a lot easier to get in and out of places. A gooseneck is really long when you consider where the pivot point is. Total length of my new trailer is 37'!

I got done cleaning up that last pile of cut logs. I was able to pull another trailer load worth of decent logs out of it.

day13-6.jpg

Original pile all gone. You can see the thin logs off in the distance in front of the fire pit. And there's a pile of hardwood off to the right. I've been trying to get someone to come pick it up for firewood. But so far no takers. I'll go on the burn pile in a few days if nobody wants it... :(

day13-7.jpg

And the area where the house will go. If you look close, you can see a few yellow flags marking parts of the foundation.

day13-8.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #59  
Trailer looks good all loaded up. Mine is a 20' + 5' and have thought about going longer but I think 25' is the perfect length.

The lot is looking very good!

They began excavating for the foundation yesterday. Below are some pics of the progress.

In this first picture, you can make out the Blue Ridge Mountains behind the trees. This is basically facing North. Once I clear those, it will open up a very nice view I think.

day15-1.jpg

And here's a view facing East.

day15-2.jpg

Outline of where the attached 1 car garage will be. White flag is where the meter base will go. There will be a service rated transfer switch mounted next to it for the whole house generator. The 200A breaker panel will be about 30 feet away in the center of the Eastern basement wall.

day15-3.jpg

A view from what will be the rear deck, looking back at the house.

day15-5.jpg

Oh, and the trailer (and truck) handled that first load of cut logs that I took to the mill very well. I hit the scales at 29,180 lbs entering the yard and 14,060 lbs leaving, so my payload was 15,120 lbs, not bad. The trailer is rated at 22,500 lbs, so I could have loaded even more logs, but being that my truck's official GCWR is 23,500 lbs, I'm probably good sticking with about 15,000 lbs per trip. :D I do have the MaxBrake controller, which connects to the brake lines at the master cylinder, so the trailer brakes are controlled very tightly and proportionally with those on the truck itself. Much smoother than the Prodigy controller I used to have back in the day.

Last edited: