Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Thanks guys. I have printed out all this great discussing about insulation and will discuss with builder.

Pic from this morning when I left for work. Singles and all doors and windows are supposed to be done by the end of today!

day58-1.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #592  
Pete,
The plan you posted clearly defines the vapor barrier, insulation, foam baffle, air space, roof decking, membrane and shingles for your cathedral ceilings.
Pre-molded foam baffles are commonly used in knee walls and sloped ceiling areas above the fiberglass to keep the air passage open between the soffit vents and the ridge vents.
All this talk by the architect about SIP roof panels, copper roofs, and a lot of the other stuff has nothing to do with your roof system and I don't know why it was brought up. We all appreciate his input, and others reading this thread that are planning new construction in the future may want to consider
some of the alternatives he mentioned but need to further study the price differential and the inherent problems, especially with SIP roof panels.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #593  
how hard is this.........
if you use fiberglass you need 1 1/2" air space for ventilation, in VA you should use R-38, so you need 10 1/4" batt plus 1 1/2" = 11 3/4" so you need more than a 2X12.
if you use spray foam, as little as 1", you do not need to ventilate, by Code, plus you help eliminate air infiltration.
a cathedral ceiling of a 2x 12 could have the same fiberglass batt R-38 plus the R-6 foam = R-44, and less air infiltration.
Someone brought up 'hot roof' problems with shingles, 180 deg. attics cause the problem so you ventilate, but roof and attic temp. does not go down that much. Spray foam or a product like a SIP panel do not require ventilation and the roof temp. is LOWER, protecting shingles.
Why is that so difficult?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Day 58

day58-3.jpg

day58-4.jpg

day58-5.jpg

day58-6.jpg

day58-7.jpg

day58-8.jpg

day58-9.jpg

day58-10.jpg

day58-11.jpg

day58-12.jpg

day58-13.jpg

day58-14.jpg

day58-15.jpg

day58-16.jpg

day58-17.jpg

day58-18.jpg

day58-19.jpg

day58-20.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #595  
Are they going to run copper or pex water lines? Just curious, and thought maybe I could drive the conversation away from the roof insulation for a minute. :)

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #596  
Are they going to run copper or pex water lines? Just curious, and thought maybe I could drive the conversation away from the roof insulation for a minute. :)
Looks like there will be Pex to the washer at least. You can just see the barbed fittings sticking out under the breakout box.

Aaron Z

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #597  
Wish I was there to watch this progress - hey, I ain't afraid of work - I can sit around and watch it all day! Looking great, pc, looking great!!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #598  
Looks like there will be Pex to the washer at least. You can just see the barbed fittings sticking out under the breakout box.

Aaron Z

Good catch. Looking at pics on my phone I lose the small details.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #599  
Seeing the support posts in the basement reminded me of our former house which had hemlock posts supporting a loft. The builder warned us they would "check" (split). They did after about 2 years. A couple times when they let go it sounded like a gunshot, really loud and sharp. The first time it happened we were baffled, like WTH, but finally decided it had to be one of the posts. Just adds character to the wood, no harm.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #600  
Pete:

That is some of the best looking wood I have seen in trusses. Your contractor has a quality supplier there. I have been lurking on this thread since day 1. I just want
To express my appreciation to you for sharing this adventure. Not everyone has the patience or forethought necessary to document a project like you have done. I really appreciate it. I also appreciate your patience and consideration in combing through all the suggestions and criticisms. Very, very helpful and informative thread. I will continue to watch.