Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #71  
Great property, what a veiw, thanks for the pics and hope the weather improves for you.

Dave

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #72  
I agree about the garage. You can always use more space and eventual resale will be much easier. Great project, thanks for documenting.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #73  
I agree also. A 1 car garage is just not desired. Just storing a mower and lawn and garden tools can be a issue.

Chris

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #74  
Great thread with perfect pics that tell the story. Nice to see the attention to detail on your part.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
I'm sure your Mom has only one car; but is there any reason you're not building a 2-car garage? She could park her car in the middle and be able to get in and out of the car easier. Also a 2-car garage is more marketable when the unfortunate time comes that you have to sell the house after she passes away, which I hope won't be for many years.
I have thought about that quite a bit. I'll bring it up with the builder when I meet with him tomorrow. It's a very good thought. Thanks.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #76  
Great job on this excavation and the thread documentation with pictures. Really enjoying this one.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #77  
I have thought about that quite a bit. I'll bring it up with the builder when I meet with him tomorrow. It's a very good thought. Thanks.

I don't think you would ever regret having the two-car garage. There are several reasons, as mentioned, why you may come to regret the one-car garage choice.

I put an over-sized one-car garage on our house, sometimes I regret that choice. :laughing: My thought was this is our retirement home and we only need one car, that didn't turn out to be the case. It's true we only need one car, but what's that got to do with it? :p

I also have a 28x48 garage about 40' behind the house, well it's full of important tractor stuff and my truck, so we now have one car sitting out all the time.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #78  
I am enjoying this thread and the pictures posted. Best wishes.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Day 17

The fire from last night burned all the way down.

day17-1.jpg

So all that's left to burn is this pile of stumps and some slash

day17-2.jpg

The rest of the full logs got hauled to the mill today

day17-3.jpg

Putting up the silt fence to be ready for the first inspection. They are very particular about having that in place

day17-4.jpg

Here's the section down from the drain field completed

day17-5.jpg

This is what the approach looks like now with the full logs gone. I plan to load up the rest of the cut logs over the weekend and take the final load to the mill come Monday

day17-6.jpg

I caught them just in time to change the garage to a 2 car one. It will be 20' wide with a single 16' door. They were able to change the Superior Walls order to change the 3 foundation walls that will be impacted. Cost difference is negligible.

day17-7.jpg

Couple other angles.

day17-8.jpg

day17-9.jpg

And finally a shot of the fire that will finish getting rid of all the remaining stumps and slash from clearing everything.

day17-10.jpg

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #80  
This is a great thread, I was in new construction for 15 years and reading this really makes me miss it. You are doing a great job at documenting the progress. You will also be alot happier with the two car garage.