Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Day 70

They worked on the overhang by the front door today

day70-1.jpg

day70-2.jpg

day70-3.jpg

They just about completed the hardy plank siding. I like how they ran the #6 ground wire behind the hardy plank.

day70-4.jpg

day70-5.jpg

The shortened side window in the basement is in

day70-6.jpg

Underside of the completed deck. They did it "old school" and used 2x2s below the main supports and very few hangers. Builder said they prefer this method and that it will pass inspection no problem

day70-7.jpg

Skylighs are in

day70-8.jpg

day70-9.jpg

Over the weekend I picked up the lights for the basement and garage. Here are the 6 that goes in the basement. The garage are similar, only 2 T8s in each fixture instead of 4. They all have electronic ballasts that will start at 0F.

day70-10.jpg

I agree that the garage floor looks like it will be very slick when wet. I might end up using some of the same paint I used on my garage floor and shop, only with the grit added to it for friction. Will determine that once everything else is done and I do a "test".

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #833  
Good. Glad we are on the same page. I have a couple of more stupid questions. How will those skylights be insulated? They don't have nearly the drop that the ones in your house do. IIRC, that is like 8 feet minimum since it spans a whole floor downward. Secondly, what did you decide on as far as hot water circulation is concerned?

Lastly, what is your stance on the humidifer? I know you stated previously that your mom was comfortable at your house despite the fact that you do not have one. However, you have a massive (that is an understatement) salt water aquarium setup that evaporates a tremendous amount of water.
-Stu

As far as insulation, they will blow in cellulose to a height of around 16" everywhere, including around the skylights, so I think that would be sufficient. That said, I'll see if they can blow some foam around them as well.

As far as hot water circulation, I plan to insulate all the pipes and the greatest distance from the water heater to a faucet will be like 25' being how centrally located it is. I have no hot water circulation in my house, and it is 3 times the size and it has never really been an issue. I do like the solution you came up with for your house!

As for a humidifier, that is something I'll discuss with the builder and you guys are right that my aquariums provide all the humidity my house need, and then some.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #835  
Peter:

Here is what I have and it works perfectly:
Grundfos Comfort System Recirculator Water Pump 595916 - FreshWaterSystems.com

I have the timer configured to recirculate the water from 8am until 8pm. The recirc valve is located under my kitchen sink which is the furthest point from the hot water heater. All of my hot water pipes are insulated as well. Without the system, it would take about 30 seconds to get hot water to the sink. Now it takes about 3 seconds.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #836  
I know I am late to post this picture. I was just looking through some pictures of our build and came across this picture. Based on your concerns about water/snow on your Adventech subfloor, I would I would post. This was taken minutes after a downpour ended. The water was pouring off of the deck. Unfortunately, this was not the only time this happened. We had a very wet spring that year. We saw no evidence of de-lamination on the subflooring prior to flooring going down. This is my first time linking from a Google + album. Let me know if you can't see it.

P1080239.JPG

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #837  
With the completion date quickly approaching, if you haven't already, now is the time to use a notebook, or digital device to make notes and checkoff lists of anything you want done before things get covered up. Print the page and give a copy to the contractor each time you see him before a particular involved trade is done and leaves the site. You will possibly get promises that they will come back and fix things but once they leave, don't hold your breath. If you can control the release of the final percentage payment to the contractor, that's your leverage.
The inspectors are usually local ex tradesmen or contractors that have gone to work for the local governments to get a regular pay, fringe benefits, and build a retirement. Your contractor and others in the area do know what they can get away with on the inspections and if you are satisfied with that, good enough.
You were successful in getting the hurricane clips added on the side walls. Did they put them on the gable ends where the 2x4 ladder rake extensions rest on the end gable truss? The end gables should also be diagonally braced from the ridge point down permanently, similar to the way they may have been temporarily when first put up to hold them until the ladder rake and roof sheathing was put on. End gables and their extended rakes are the favorite place for high wind to rip your house apart.
Take lots of pictures, showing things from straight on, at angles, and zoomed in and out for your record file; not necessarily to post all on the net or your website. Mark them up digitally for dimensions as you have on some you have posted.
I took many while constructing my house to show where wiring, bracing for towel bars, grab handles and things too numerous to mention are behind walls, etc. and have notes and scribbles of how I framed interior walls, etc. even video with the wife holding a yard stick and calling out numbers at critical points. I still find at times that I wish I had taken more pictures when embarking on a modification. That was all before the days of digital amateur photography; there's no excuse now. Then it's back to tapping, using a stud finder, rulers etc. and hoping I do or don't hit something with a nail, screw hanger, or saw.
I sincerely wish that your mom enjoys her new home for many years and that all safety measures are provided to keep her from injury.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #838  
Very impressive thread. Your builder is doing a great job with good attention to detail. I'd hire him in a skinny minute. FWIW, my drip edges are all done the same "Z" bended way. The trim coil actually supports the shingles out past the roof edge so they don't warp and curl down over time. I like it, it looks crisp, and have had zero issues.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #839  
I imagine they are going to recenter the ceiling fixture box between the skylights?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #840  
Hey guys:

Been doing more reading and learning on the Foam Products. (Local manufacture here is FOMO University of Fomo Log In ) who have some on-line videos and such for education on their products.

Edit in: I signed up for their free on-line training videos just because... NOT sure if the link or some of the extra resources are available without signing up.

Mark

Last edited: