Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #841  
pc, I can tell you that by insulating all your pipes, you eliminate condensation on cold, and hot water will stay hot a long time! The faucet in my house that is far from water heater is over 30' and after all night at that faucet once we use it one time in the morning, from then on the rest of the day water is very warm when it first comes out. To me, since pipe insulation is so cheap and is so easy to do, it should just BE DONE! Sure glad I did mine many years ago!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #842  
PC, did, or does, your builder know that his work is being documented and critiqued daily on the Internet? If he does, how does he feel about that? If he doesn't, are you going to tell him at some point? I am certainly no builder, but I've been very impressed with everything you've shown us. Maybe more impressed with how flexible your builder has been "on the fly". I'm not sure if you posted this or not earlier, but can you give us an estimate of $/square foot when it's done? (Trying really hard not to be too nosy here. Some friends are starting a house here in TN and their quotes were from $130-150/sq foot.)

mkane09

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #843  
pc, I can tell you that by insulating all your pipes, you eliminate condensation on cold, and hot water will stay hot a long time! The faucet in my house that is far from water heater is over 30' and after all night at that faucet once we use it one time in the morning, from then on the rest of the day water is very warm when it first comes out. To me, since pipe insulation is so cheap and is so easy to do, it should just BE DONE! Sure glad I did mine many years ago!
Yes, I need to insulate my hot water pipes in our house. The bathrooms are on 50+ ft from the hot water heater; we always wash our hands with cold water.
Obed

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #844  
How deep is the deck? I'm guessing 8' to use half a piece of decking board. I like the boards ran that direction.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #845  
Yes, I need to insulate my hot water pipes in our house. The bathrooms are on 50+ ft from the hot water heater; we always wash our hands with cold water.
Obed

Yep, just do it, Obed! You'll be so glad when you get that little job done - a huge bang for buck and sweat! And cheap!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Day 71

My temp Internet connection is now having issues. Sigh, I need to ramp up my efforts for a permanent solution.

Anyway, some pics from yesterday.

More #57! This should be enough to finish the job, except for the driveway

day71-1.jpg

All siding completed except for the very front of the house that gets a mix of stone and hardy plank

day71-2.jpg

The block, sand and cement is all onsite for the walls

day71-3.jpg

This shot shows how far up the rock will come inside the courtyard. This will also be the height of the walls not under the extended roof from the garage

day71-4.jpg

They finally got the basement door cut all the way out

day71-5.jpg

The hardline for the guest bath vent is done, with about a 6" drop

day71-6.jpg

I imagine they are going to recenter the ceiling fixture box between the skylights?
They sure will be Ron. Good catch!

And good advice on taking copious shots if the walls with meassurements before everything gets covered up. They will put in blocks where towel racks etc will be mounted. I'll check the ladder rake extensions for hurricane clips.

PC, did, or does, your builder know that his work is being documented and critiqued daily on the Internet? If he does, how does he feel about that? If he doesn't, are you going to tell him at some point? I am certainly no builder, but I've been very impressed with everything you've shown us. Maybe more impressed with how flexible your builder has been "on the fly". I'm not sure if you posted this or not earlier, but can you give us an estimate of $/square foot when it's done? (Trying really hard not to be too nosy here. Some friends are starting a house here in TN and their quotes were from $130-150/sq foot.)

mkane09
I did send him a link early on, but I don't know that he ever got a chance to check it out. The builder (and when I refer to builder, it is not the owner of the company, but the guy that has been assigned to oversee the construction of mom's house and about 4 or 5 other houses that have been assigned to him), so he is extremely busy dealing with all the subs and making calls about how this or that should be done when the workers run into issues on any of the sites. Anytime I meet with him on-site, his phone rins about every 5 minutes and he has to take about half the calls. He's a busy guy!

As stated previously, the base price is $139,500 for this 1,550 sq. ft. ranch, which works out to $90/sq. ft. Once you add the garage, full unfinished basement, HVAC upgrade, upgraded siding, upgraded flooring, upgraded cabinets, granite counter tops, upgrades fauces, courtyard walls, stamped concrete patio, Trex decking, etc, we get close to $190/sq. ft.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #849  
As stated previously, the base price is $139,500 for this 1,550 sq. ft. ranch, which works out to $90/sq. ft. Once you add the garage, full unfinished basement, HVAC upgrade, upgraded siding, upgraded flooring, upgraded cabinets, granite counter tops, upgrades fauces, courtyard walls, stamped concrete patio, Trex decking, etc, we get close to $190/sq. ft.

Did you really go from $90 to $190 a foot or is that a typo?

Eddie

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #850