New woods trailer for our RTV...

/ New woods trailer for our RTV... #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
We recently got a Kubota RTV500 and have needed a trailer that fits in its wheel track to pull into the woods.
A while back I took apart and scrapped a trailer frame (was originally a popup that the previous owner made into a flatbed). I kept the wheels and will be using those under the trailer.
The rest of the frame will be made of a chair rack that was getting thrown out by someone and some angle iron that we have on hand. If I get real ambitious, I might see if I can make the tongue hinge to allow the trailer to dump. Below are some pictures of the mockup before I cut it down:
From the front:
IMAG0008 (Custom).jpg
Front corner:
IMAG0009 (Custom).jpg
From the back:
IMAG0010 (Custom).jpg

I may look into replacing the tires with some wider ones at some point, but for now they will work

Aaron Z

/ New woods trailer for our RTV... #2  
That looks pretty cool. I have an old pop up that we still use maybe once a year. When we finally retire it I'd like to convert it into something useful like this. I have an old trailer made from some sort of international truck bed. It would be nice to have something a little smaller that my B7610 could pull through the trails in our woods. Good luck with your project.

/ New woods trailer for our RTV...
Thanks. It will probbaly end up behind the B7500 and BX2660 from time to time. Just need something heavier than the "yard cart" trailers (although, the leftover pieces of channel will probbaly be used to lengthen the tongues on our "yard cart" trailers).
Our current trailers are a 6x10 landscape trailer and a 7x14 flat bed dump on haywagon running gear. Neither work too well in the woods.

Aaron Z

/ New woods trailer for our RTV... #4  
Thats a great start. We had a trailer that we used for years that was made from an old pop-up. They are very heavy duty frames. I bought a trailer that was for sale in the center of my town last year that was used to haul pumpkins. It was built on the frame of an old Ford Model T. It is a great little trailer and we use it all the time.
IMG_3765.jpg

103_1910.jpg

Welded it together today with the neighbor. He tacked the first couple of joints together than handed me the MIG gun and said "its your trailer, you should be doing the welding" The first couple welds were rocky, but the later ones looked decent. Once I figured out that the puddle needed to look like it did when I was brazing linesets with an Oxy/Acetylene torch, my welds started looking better.\

Pictures:
IMAG0025 (Custom).jpg IMAG0026 (Custom).jpg IMAG0028 (Custom).jpg IMAG0029 (Custom).jpg IMAG0030 (Custom).jpg IMAG0031 (Custom).jpg IMAG0032 (Custom).jpg IMAG0033 (Custom).jpg

Aaron Z

/ New woods trailer for our RTV... #6  
That's even got hydraulic brakes?

That's even got hydraulic brakes?
The axle does. I didn't use the brake actuator as the coupler because I wasn't sure if it still worked and it the golf cart doesn't have a ball on it. I may take them off at some point as we aren't going to use them and they are dragging a little.

Aaron Z

A couple more pictures including the butt weld on the middle crossmember (where the tongue is welded on).
IMG_1722 (Custom).JPG IMG_1721 (Custom).JPG IMG_1720 (Custom).JPG

Aaron Z

Looking at putting lights into the back of the side frame rails (ie: the hole on each side seen in the picture below) recessed enough that they wont get banged up when someone backs into something
IMAG0025 (Custom).jpg
My idea is to use a single function light (this one to be exact: Clear LED Red Light 1x2 5" Oval Surface 2 Diode Trailer Truck Marker CLEARANCE | eBay ) in the hole in the frame rail on the trailer.

What would happen if I were to take a single LED light and connect it as seen below:
LEDLight.png

The reason is, sometimes I would like to pull on the road behind the tractor and having both marker lights and turn signals would be good then. There is a space on each side of the frame where a pair of 1"x2" LED marker light would fit nicely (and be well protected), but I cant find any 2 function lights in that space.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ New woods trailer for our RTV... #10  
What would happen if I were to take a single LED light and connect it as seen below:
View attachment 304222

The reason is, sometimes I would like to pull on the road behind the tractor and having both marker lights and turn signals would be good then. There is a space on each side of the frame where a pair of 1"x2" LED marker light would fit nicely (and be well protected), but I cant find any 2 function lights in that space.

Thanks

Aaron Z

The wiring diagram will work to combine the two functions onto one light. But I don't think the resistor will dim the LED like a running light would be. The LED works on a lower voltage than the circuitry that drives it.

I base this theory on my Led flashlight that runs on the same battery pack that my drill uses. As the battery gets weaker the Led never dims, it just goes out, then the battery recovers a little and the LED comes on then the battery dies again, and the LED goes off, so it just flashes.

I have seen LEDs advertised to work from 5v to 30v, so I guess it depends on the circuit that drives it.

If you don't have a brake lights on the tractor, you don't need dimmer, as in not as bright, marker lights
Let us know what you come up with.