Gun RUST....caused by coverings????

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
Morning Guys,
I'm consulting my "brain trust" here about protecting a gun barrel. Let me explain, I am admittedly ****. I have a beautiful (my opinion) Remington 1100 shotgun. I put an 18" slug barrel on it for those short shot, thick, knarley places where a long range rifle is not a good idea.
Being ****, I have a thick (boot sock) cover that was custom sewn and cut to slip over the stock and another cover velcro attached to protect the forestock. I worry so much about scratching, denting or hurting my guns that it takes away the enjoyment of hunting. Hmmm....****, huh?
Anyway, I just bought rolls of rubbery camo tape to wrap the gun with. The tape has no adhesive to mar the gun.
Has anyone tried this stuff? Can it hold moisture to harm the wood finish? I see guys with the barrels wrapped over the forestock.....won't that hold moisture and RUST the barrel? Do they REMOVE it after each season? I should find synthetic stocks and just store the pretty wood stocks. Or better yet, not buy a "pretty gun".....I keep thinking that after I'm gone....someone will appreciate these beautiful weapons/tools and the care that I took of them. (Unless our government has cut them all up for scrap or made anyone owning them a felon) :mad:

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #2  
My thought is I purchased my guns to use;I do take care of them.My 1100 was purchased in 1970 and has a few battle scars.My newest guns are synthetic stocked and stainless when available;not pretty but do hold up to adverse weather and heavy use.I would not use any wraps;purchase a synthetic stock/fore-end and put the wood away if you want to save it.I purchased a 870 synthetic stocked 12 gauge pump,perfect duck/turkey or what ever shot gun,also subs as an emergency paddle!

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #3  
Good morning Boeing - I've never tried camo tape on any of my guns. I have never had rust on any of my guns (long & hand guns) however, I've never wrapped any of them in anything other than a bed sheet. Here in Ea. WA state we have very low humidity (30%) which is probably the reason for little rust. Any cover that allows "breathing" should be OK - not cause rusting. Honestly - if you have a valuable gun that you are concerned about rust, nicks, scratches etc - you should secure it properly and buy another that you can use without so much heartburn. I have one such gun and it rests on a gun rack safely secured from all the afore mentioned dangers. The gun I use has a composite stock & forearm and stainless action,barrel etc. Good luck - -

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #4  
+1 on the emergency paddle.

I have camo tape on my 1986 Remington 870 12 ga. It has been to h311 and back deer, dove, duck and turkey hunting. It was purchased to hunt with not as a collector item so it gets used. It has never let me down and shows no signs of rust even with camo tape on it. The tape stays on year after year.

I have other firearms that stay in the safe but for an occasional firing and cleaning. These are the ones for the next generation.

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #5  
I would at the very least get the synthetic stock and forearm for your 1100. They are not expensive and you will sleep better.
If you are not worried about reducing the value of your 1100, there are some commercial coatings that can really take a beating. I am not up on which ones to try, but someone here will know.
If I were to use the tape it would come off at the end of the season and the gun would be cleaned, oiled and stored. I don't know if the tape products are one time use or reuseable.

Good Luck with your choice. I am glad you take care of your 1100.

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #6  
You are correct in that those following will appreciate the care you took of your shotgun. I certainly do with those my Dad left to me, and every time I touch one of them I get to have pleasant thoughts about my father. That said, there is a bit of wear up on the front of trigger guard on the Model 37 Ithaca, he bought the day I was born, from his holding his trigger finger there. Some wear you don't mind.

I wouldn't wrap it. Plenty of game was taken prior to camo wrap or tape, etc. Maybe something for Turkey's as they seem to like to make a fool of me in the woods, but either put it away and pet it occasionally, get a shooter, or use it and explain the character marks to whomever the gun goes to.

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #7  
I would say, take the 1100 out and use it. It is a hunting gun, not a collectors weapon that cost thousands of dollars. Sure the wood might be pretty and if you want to save it, put another $75 or less into it and put a synthetic stock and forearm on it and use it as a hunting gun which is what it was designed for.

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #8  
I run a small uplands preserve.I have seen everything used here from a electrial taped together single shot to a $28,000 Perozzi!I see a lot of $2,000-$3,000 guns used in the field every year.Granted this is uplands hunting but I couldn't carry that expensive of a gun through the brush.As stated the Rem 1100 are great guns and even tho Remington came out with a couple different auto's ,they still produce the 1100,the demand is there.

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #9  
Another thought...just use it and then refinish it someday if its get dinged up. I have done this to several guns. Refinishing is a very rewarding project, and not that hard to do.

I do have synthetic guns too. Sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about getting scratched up. You can lay it on the ground without worrying about it.

/ Gun RUST....caused by coverings???? #10  
In answer to your original question, I have used camo tape for entire seasons before on shotguns. It does protect well and I never had any problems with damage or residue.

On the blued parts, you leave a thin layer of oil and the tape is basically sticking to itself, not the steel. It takes a while to do a nice job.