Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out?

/ Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out? #1  

SanDucerro

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S
I have Huisache trees on my property - lots of them. They're similar to Mesquite in that they have lots of thorns and grow like weeds. You can chop them down pretty easily - and a bush hog will make quick work of them - but they just grow back again. I've maintained the front pasture all along, so for the most part it's clear (we'll not worry about the back of the property for now). However, I've got a spot up front that's less than an acre - 0.80 to be exact - that had 5+ year old Huisache trees on it.

We had a dozer come out and push over the trees. On the younger Huisache the tree AND the roots came up. However - in this one area - the trees were more mature and it seems the trunks just snapped right at the soil level, but the tap roots are still there. And the roots are HUGE - I'm talking roots as big around as your arm! So now I'm attempting to plow this area and the roots are in the way. I called the dozer guy and he doesn't have a root plow - but thinks he can borrow a tractor with one - and he thinks he can get to me late next week. Unfortunately - this particular dozer guy is the only one in our area that's not booked 6 weeks out. All of this is kinda "up in the air" and I don't really like to work that way. I need this spot cleared by the 15th of this month and there just isn't enough confirmation that this is going to happen - so I need a plan B.

We maked all of the stumps (which are flush with the ground) with flags so we would know what we were looking at and then proceeded to try to get a few out (my guess is there are about 90 tree roots in this area). Using the FEL we were able to get down to the root ball (about 12" under the surface), but the FEL isn't strong enough to pull the root out. Plus, we found root "arms" branching away from the tap root that are HUGE as well. I wound up using a chain saw to cut the tap root below the ball and then pull the ball out by hand. But this is taking way too long and frankly - I'm just not young enough to do this type of work any longer. I'm good for about 4 of these and then I'm wasted for the day. So - I'm looking for suggestions....

/ Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out? #2  
Sounds like you need it done right away ....if ya had the time -- paint the stump with remedy & diesel and wait for it to rot. If not -- good luck. I just keep mowing mine.

/ Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out? #3  
Can you have someone with an excavator come in and pull them out - or rent one and do it your self?

/ Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out? #4  
Sounds like you need it done right away ....if ya had the time -- paint the stump with remedy & diesel and wait for it to rot. If not -- good luck. I just keep mowing mine.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Digging them up never works.

/ Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out?
Has anyone ever tried a Stump Bucket for a skid steer on a tractor?

Can you have someone with an excavator come in and pull them out - or rent one and do it your self?
That's plan "C". I've been reading up on the mini's and trying to determine if they will do the job - and it looks like they would, I've just never used one before (although it does look like fun). Rental looks to run in the $300 a day range in my neck of the woods. A bit cheaper for a smaller unit. My hesitation stems from the fact that my FEL isn't up to the task, so why would a smaller HP mini do the job? That's a retorical question by the way, but feel free to answer... :p

A stump bucket (see post above) can be purchased for under $700 - but I'm not sure it will work off a tractor... But if it would then I'd have a tool to use for other chores.

/ Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out? #7  
So I have some family in the area and have seen an attachment sold in the area that plow and cut them off below the ball. Problem is its built for 100HP units and bigger. I built a unit that cut the feeder roots then you hooked the ball and rolled it out. It is currently sitting in Houston and i am near Laredo.

So I have some family in the area and have seen an attachment sold in the area that plow and cut them off below the ball. Problem is its built for 100HP units and bigger.
That's probably similar to what I'm finding. I have the M7040 at 71 HP, but that's a far cry from 100...

So I have some family in the area and have seen an attachment sold in the area that plow and cut them off below the ball. Problem is its built for 100HP units and bigger. I built a unit that cut the feeder roots then you hooked the ball and rolled it out. It is currently sitting in Houston and i am near Laredo.
Any photos? I'd like to see what you came up with. I found a unit on Craigslist, but I just don't think it's big enough or heavy enough to get the job done. 3pt Root Gruber Plow - $475

/ Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out? #9  
man I have searched and tried to load a few shots of the ripper i made. heavy iron and sharp cutting edge made from 1.25 plate looked like the old school hand sickle.
The root plow i was thinking of had a v and two arms going into the ground with a push bar about two feet above cutting edge. you backed into tree pushed it back and v cut off roots below grade.I posted a few shots of the hook I built a while back Just cant find them. Good luck

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 576
   / Root'n Huisache Trees - How to get the root out? #10  
Picture 024.jpgman I have searched and tried to load a few shots of the ripper i made. heavy iron and sharp cutting edge made from 1.25 plate looked like the old school hand sickle.
The root plow i was thinking of had a v and two arms going into the ground with a push bar about two feet above cutting edge. you backed into tree pushed it back and v cut off roots below grade.I posted a few shots of the hook I built a while back Just cant find them. Good luck