Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources

/ Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
A long time ago I was given a Fein Multimaster and all the folks I know who work in the trade love them...so I started using it and its is great...but the replacement cost of the blades are steep. Where are folks buying their replacements????

/ Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources #2  
There are generic blades available for most brands of Multi type tools but you'll need to Google or check EBay.
Large tool stores also carry but not the corner hardware.
Prices are 1/4-1/3 of brand name prices, but then only popular styles available.

/ Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources #3  
A long time ago I was given a Fein Multimaster and all the folks I know who work in the trade love them...so I started using it and its is great...but the replacement cost of the blades are steep. Where are folks buying their replacements????

Amazon periodically has genuine Fein blades at very good prices.

A few aftermarket US-made blades that are high quality:

http://imperialblades.com/products.html

http://www.multiblades.com/multimasterblades.html

Keep in mind that certain Fein blades (E-cut specifically) are exceptionally easy to sharpen with a saw file.

/ Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources #4  
This company has great reviews on many woodworking forums: MultiBlades.com

/ Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources #5  
   / Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources
I tried sharpening my metal wood blade...no luck, my file didn't make a dent.

do they make a conversion from the HF blades to the Fein? And are the HF blades worth the effort?

/ Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources #7  
I have bought a few of the harbor freight blades, and it depends on the particular blade as to the quality from my experience. The diamond coated blades for sawing tile or grout are really good. The wood cutting blade seems to work ok if the wood isn't too hard or you don't need to cut through a nail, but it's not bi-metal and is too soft to use on anything resembling hard.

/ Fein Multimaster - Blade replacement sources #10  
Well I'm truly a cheap SOB! So given the price if genuine Fein blades, I've been experiment with "making" my own. I bought a couple of Japanese pull saw blade replacements. I score them on a grinding wheel to cut to appropriate width. Then I take an old burned out Fein blade, grind the old blade down to a stub, and mig the new one on.

My welding skills are not the best snd I've burned some holes but I'm getting better. so far what I've done might not be suitable for fine trim work, but if I'm cutting off a door jam/trim board on the floor they sure beat trashing a 30 buck blade.