Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Default Re: Need some tree experts help

I agree that the spacing is a bit tight. I also think I see a power line pretty close to you proposed planting. Would hate to see you spend years getting those trees to size and have the power company come in and cut them up. Here the power company has a 30' easement that they have the right to control.

MarkV

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2003 New Holland tc 29d

Do you have any apple trees? Apples and cedars dont work well

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

If there are any nurseries near you I'd inquire of them what spacing and what trees would grow best and fastest for your needs in your zone. This is what they do as professionals and even if they charged you for the consult, possibly at your site, it would be money well spent. Often they will waive the consult fee if you buy the stock from them. This can be advantageous too due to warranty's on some tree stock.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    2009 New Holland 1510

I agree with talking to a local nursery. There is always the challenge of balancing having privacy early but not choking the trees as they grow. My neighbors' fir trees (planted 4' apart 15+ yrs ago) are thin at the bottom- 25' tall but you can see right between them. Maybe a hedgerow for immediate privacy with trees behind that will fill in a few years later?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

Mussler Forests just sent me a catalog, they have varities listed by salt tolarence, along with ones that will provide screening.
    www.stormspoons.com my website
    http://www.etsy.com/people/Forgeblast?ref=pr_profile
    Is where I also have spoons listed.

Tractor
    Kubota B21

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat ranger View Post
    My neighbors' fir trees (planted 4' apart 15+ yrs ago) are thin at the bottom- 25' tall but you can see right between them. Maybe a hedgerow for immediate privacy with trees behind that will fill in a few years later?
    The reason I chose Deodora cedars, they grow right to the ground if you let'em.
    - Dennis

Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com
    Kubota B21
    Polaris Ranger
    Yamaha Kodiak

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

The plan you have is pretty "formal". Be careful how close you get to the driveway. I have flowering trees lining my drive and they are pain. They are too close and I hit them with my truck antenna, my trailer gate, etc. They are sized such that trimming the lower branches would ruin them. Last year I had an excavator in to dredge my pond and he took down several limbs (not on purpose) just getting the trackhoe in and out. I also have evergreens that were planted too close and I'm going to have to take them out because of that.

I would suggest that after you get your trees decided on and located, you think about adding a few strategically placed, fast growing flowering shrubs like forscythia. That will give you some quick privacy and visual interest. 10 years from now when the trees are established you can take the bushes out if you don't want them anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12