Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not?

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #22  
2' overhangs are nice. When it comes to closing them in, where there is a will there is a way.

My overhangs also serve as vents to help manage moisture buildup and temperature in my barn. The air comes in under the eaves and exits via the ridge vent. Even with all metal construction I would want vented soffits and a ridge vent.

You nailed it...the soffit is an integral part of the ventilation system if a metal roof is used otherwise I've heard that you will literally have "rain" in your building from condensation. Ventilated soffits and a ridge vent in my shop (I have a steel ceiling installed with a poly film above and insulated to R50). We formed the insulation pan on the perimeter using plies of rolled insulation then followed with blown-in material.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #23  
Yes, install an overhang, with vented soffit, and also install a ridge vent, or your tin will drip. Also be sure to use a heavy vapor barrior under you slab, and if storing aircraft, I would also paint the floor with industrial epoxy. We had a hanger on our farm, an unvented Morton building, no concrete for 10 yrs, installed a 6'' slab, no vapor barrior, and it rained inside when ever the temp dropped and it was humid. We had to leave windows and doors open to pevent this.

Dave

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #24  
I have an insulated 30'X40'X12', 12' overhangs and a closable ridge vent. Have not had any leaks and no condensation problems. I definitely would put gutters on. Skylights work great if you don't want to keep the lights on all the time.

100_0921.jpg

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not?
Thanks for everyone's input and help. I plan to go with the overhangs, as everyone else also advised.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #26  
All 3 of my pole barns have overhangs on the sides and on front and back. It adds so much to the overall look of the building. I have wired 100's of these structures over the past 28 years, and all the buildings without overhangs just look cheap. period.

Like they just dont give a ^^%^ how the building looks. No one would build a house without overhangs.

Id also rather have rain water wash over the roof and miss the walls then run down the walls year after year. That really wrecks the finish on the buildings.

I dont see how an overhang would affect waterproofing or sealing the structure. does not make any sense.

Also, have them finish the underside of the overhangs in metal just like the roof. looks nice and clean.

That is a nice looking building.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #27  
Overhang really do make a building look nicer. I saw the amish build a barn with a long over hang with longer trusses no support poles I do not remember how long it was but I think it was 8 foot. Metal roof off course. But I thoug what a good idea man that would be handy for a garage most times people have the doors on gable ends but sometimes that does not always work out. But if it was in front the doors it would easier to shovel off depending on how you built the driveway. you could plow close enough to door without being too close. Also you could always park stuff under neath there and not have in the weather. Most of the time it would keep the frost off your windshield.
Would make a place for summer storage to keep it mostly and out of sun most of the time. But I really liked the idea
as it gave you a little dry room without stepping out in to the rain and snow.