Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not?

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #1  

jmd4j

Tractor
Kubota
Hello all, I'm in the process of building a pole barn, 40x40x14 with steel trusses to be exact. I cannot stand the look of a pole barn without overhangs so I was set on having them. I plan on finishing the pole barn and turning it into an airplane hangar in about a year or two, but once the place I'm buying my materials from learned of this, they recommended to not build with overhangs. They said it is much harder to seal up with the metal if you have the overhangs sticking out. My question is, how much harder is it to seal? Is it really that big of a deal. I don't plan on having it climate controlled, so air tight it doesn't have to be. I just want to keep everything relatively dry. We plan on using it for other purposes this year, as a pavilion, and next year is when I plan to finish the sides. This is also in a field not close to houses, so me and family are the only ones going to be able to see it, so cosmetically I don't think it'd be that big of a deal trying to seal up either.

I searched the site but didn't come up with any recommendations. I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks!

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #2  
Don't see what the problem would be. They sell inside and outside closures for sealing metal walls and roofs. Overhang would be what I would do.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #3  
I like buildings with 1-2 foot overhangs also. When I put my pole shed up, 36x54, I found that in my case the cost of the overhang would be about the same as having the walls out to the edge. I decided I would rather have the extra room than an overhang. They did stick the steel 3" over anyway.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not?
Thanks for your insight guys!

From what they quoted me, there was no cost difference in the steel trusses whether I went with or without the overhang. With the overhang, they simply added the overhang (18"IIRC) to the 40' width of the truss, so I don't think I can take advantage of the extra space anyway form the way these are designed.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #5  
I think you will like the overhang better. It helps keep rain from running down the wall into the building and depending on where your entrance is going to be, it will help keep it from raining inside if the door is open.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #6  
I have 2 ft overhangs on the sides of my barn, and 1 ft on the front and back. If I were to do it over, I'd increase both of those numbers. I don't see a sealing problem.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #7  
I think you will like the overhang better. It helps keep rain from running down the wall into the building and depending on where your entrance is going to be, it will help keep it from raining inside if the door is open.

If you do not have overhangs, you will getting a gutter system after the next hard rain. I know.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #8  
With overhang (without gutters) rain will drip off the roof further from your foundation and give you more options to control the runoff.

idho2

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #9  
2' overhangs are nice. When it comes to closing them in, where there is a will there is a way.

My overhangs also serve as vents to help manage moisture buildup and temperature in my barn. The air comes in under the eaves and exits via the ridge vent. Even with all metal construction I would want vented soffits and a ridge vent.

/ Pole Barn Overhang...Or Not? #10  
The big disadvantage of overhangs is they increase the wind uplift. I think it's crazy to have a building without them.