Water line into new Pole Barn.....

/ Water line into new Pole Barn..... #1  

Mac D

Tractor
John Deere 5103
Guys, new on here but looking for some advice. I am finishing up a new pole barn and need to run water into it. I had it built next to an older open pole barn that I already had. There is water about 10 feet away at the old pole barn. (I ran water to it years ago from the house..use it for filling the sprayer, washing up, etc.) The new pole barn is insulated and I had it stubbed for toilet, sink but need to run the water over there and in. Over is no problem but thinking about a way to run it inside CLEANLY. The new barn is insulated so thought I'd run it inside to be on the safe side, along the wall and over to the sink area. How to run it inside the building? Do I punch a hole in the new sheet metal siding? If so, any of you guys have a good way to make it look good and protect the pipe from freezing? THANKS!

/ Water line into new Pole Barn..... #2  
:welcome: You need to go from the ground up into your barn

/ Water line into new Pole Barn..... #3  
Welcome! You would generally do that underground. Have you already poured a slab? I am surprised a plumber would stub in a bath and not take a supply into account.

MarkV

/ Water line into new Pole Barn..... #4  
Welcome! You would generally do that underground. Have you already poured a slab? I am surprised a plumber would stub in a bath and not take a supply into account.

MarkV

Yea, that makes no sense at all. Is there a sewer hook up?

/ Water line into new Pole Barn..... #5  
Mac D, what I did is put my water line (the type used to bring water from the well to the house, black in color) inside PVC deep enough to keep it from freezing, also in PVC to protect it from rocks, etc. I ran the PVC to a small closet next to my laundry tub and bathroom (sink & toilet). I insulated the room really good. Also since I don't have heat in the outbuilding right now I keep a small light on (60 watts) to allow the room to stay above freezing. I'm not sure I really need the light but I feel it gives me a level of freeze protection. You can see it here with the cut off valve. This picture does not show the finish closet but you get the ideal, and as you can see the PVC was put in prior to the concrete pour.

Attachments

• 100_1240.jpg
    100_1240.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 9,450
   / Water line into new Pole Barn.....
Sorry...I guess I should have supplied more info. I had him stub for the drain and toilet drain because I was thinking about doing this in the future. We intend to put SEPTIC out there (the line is run out the back of the slab already) and we simply put the pipe in to make sure we had it done when the slab was poured. I can handle the other light plumbing work. I just am worried about coming out of the ground once I bring the pipe over to the new barn and then up.....going into the new barn and making it a clean installation.

/ Water line into new Pole Barn.....
.....and I hate cutting a hole in that new steel siding! :)

/ Water line into new Pole Barn..... #8  
You bring it up through the floor before pouring the slab away from tge outside wall so it will not freeze.

Chris

/ Water line into new Pole Barn..... #9  
Mac, I'm going to throw my thoughts on your situation too:D The guys are right, this should have been done (supply line) when the other (wastes/grey) water piping was done, prior to the cement pour. Would have been SOOO much easier.

I see you have 3 choices, go the way your describing, cut out the slab and snake the supply line in and re-pour that small cut out, or run from your existing line, underground to the outside wall of your B/room and go through there.

If the metal is "R" panel. there should be a concrete "lip" poured around the edge to allow the metal to sit on a "shelf" so to speak, this closes off the bottom to vermin. If this is the type panels you have, you may be able to remove the screws from one panel, gently pry the loose end out and inch or 2, then (after marking the spot) hammer drill/jackhammer the ledge off enough to get in there.

I have seen water lines ran into buildings, when it was an afterthought as is yours, where they go through the wall, then box the piping in a nice cedar or other covering and fill with insulation. Nothing you'd want on a $100k+ home, but will get it done on a shop or outbuilding.

I knew a guy that used a garden hose in the summer to run a small bath in his shop, in the winter he just rolled up the hose and drained everything, wasn't "purdy" but it was just his outbuilding (he bought the place already constructed.)

I know one thing pretty sure, after you figure this out, you will make sure your supply line is the 1st thing that goes in a new slab:laughing:

OH, :welcome: to TBN!!!!!!!

/ Water line into new Pole Barn..... #10  
I'd bury the water line below frost line to prevent it from freezing. I would NOT cut into the metal siding to bring in pipee. I would dig a standing hole right next to your building where you want water to go in and drill a hole in the concrete floor inside right next to the wall for water line to come up.You only need to dig about 6 inches or so under the concrete floor for water line. Be sure you drill a hole double size of water line so you can put water line inside a pipe so it has exposed air to keep pipe from freezing inside the building. backfill it all in and you are all set.