Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 5103

Default Water line into new Pole Barn.....

Guys, new on here but looking for some advice. I am finishing up a new pole barn and need to run water into it. I had it built next to an older open pole barn that I already had. There is water about 10 feet away at the old pole barn. (I ran water to it years ago from the house..use it for filling the sprayer, washing up, etc.) The new pole barn is insulated and I had it stubbed for toilet, sink but need to run the water over there and in. Over is no problem but thinking about a way to run it inside CLEANLY. The new barn is insulated so thought I'd run it inside to be on the safe side, along the wall and over to the sink area. How to run it inside the building? Do I punch a hole in the new sheet metal siding? If so, any of you guys have a good way to make it look good and protect the pipe from freezing? THANKS!

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Default Re: Water line into new Pole Barn.....

You need to go from the ground up into your barn

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Welcome! You would generally do that underground. Have you already poured a slab? I am surprised a plumber would stub in a bath and not take a supply into account.

MarkV

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
    Welcome! You would generally do that underground. Have you already poured a slab? I am surprised a plumber would stub in a bath and not take a supply into account.

MarkV
    Yea, that makes no sense at all. Is there a sewer hook up?

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 HSDC

Mac D, what I did is put my water line (the type used to bring water from the well to the house, black in color) inside PVC deep enough to keep it from freezing, also in PVC to protect it from rocks, etc. I ran the PVC to a small closet next to my laundry tub and bathroom (sink & toilet). I insulated the room really good. Also since I don't have heat in the outbuilding right now I keep a small light on (60 watts) to allow the room to stay above freezing. I'm not sure I really need the light but I feel it gives me a level of freeze protection. You can see it here with the cut off valve. This picture does not show the finish closet but you get the ideal, and as you can see the PVC was put in prior to the concrete pour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_1240-jpg  
    Stanley----Kubota B3030 HSDC

Tractor
    John Deere 5103

Sorry...I guess I should have supplied more info. I had him stub for the drain and toilet drain because I was thinking about doing this in the future. We intend to put SEPTIC out there (the line is run out the back of the slab already) and we simply put the pipe in to make sure we had it done when the slab was poured. I can handle the other light plumbing work. I just am worried about coming out of the ground once I bring the pipe over to the new barn and then up.....going into the new barn and making it a clean installation.

Tractor
    John Deere 5103

.....and I hate cutting a hole in that new steel siding!

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

You bring it up through the floor before pouring the slab away from tge outside wall so it will not freeze.

Chris

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Mac, I'm going to throw my thoughts on your situation too The guys are right, this should have been done (supply line) when the other (wastes/grey) water piping was done, prior to the cement pour. Would have been SOOO much easier.

I see you have 3 choices, go the way your describing, cut out the slab and snake the supply line in and re-pour that small cut out, or run from your existing line, underground to the outside wall of your B/room and go through there.

If the metal is "R" panel. there should be a concrete "lip" poured around the edge to allow the metal to sit on a "shelf" so to speak, this closes off the bottom to vermin. If this is the type panels you have, you may be able to remove the screws from one panel, gently pry the loose end out and inch or 2, then (after marking the spot) hammer drill/jackhammer the ledge off enough to get in there.

I have seen water lines ran into buildings, when it was an afterthought as is yours, where they go through the wall, then box the piping in a nice cedar or other covering and fill with insulation. Nothing you'd want on a $100k+ home, but will get it done on a shop or outbuilding.

I knew a guy that used a garden hose in the summer to run a small bath in his shop, in the winter he just rolled up the hose and drained everything, wasn't "purdy" but it was just his outbuilding (he bought the place already constructed.)

I know one thing pretty sure, after you figure this out, you will make sure your supply line is the 1st thing that goes in a new slab

OH, to TBN!!!!!!!
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

I'd bury the water line below frost line to prevent it from freezing. I would NOT cut into the metal siding to bring in pipee. I would dig a standing hole right next to your building where you want water to go in and drill a hole in the concrete floor inside right next to the wall for water line to come up.You only need to dig about 6 inches or so under the concrete floor for water line. Be sure you drill a hole double size of water line so you can put water line inside a pipe so it has exposed air to keep pipe from freezing inside the building. backfill it all in and you are all set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast