Food plots

/ Food plots #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I'm looking for some advice on building a food plot.

Currently my only open area, about 30 acres, is covered in native vegitation and small trees. I'm brush hogging four, 2 acre, areas I plan to plant for hunting season.

Would if be better to buy a disc harrow or a tiller? Money is always a concern, but so is the result.

/ Food plots #2  
I use a single bottom plow and disc's. it's cheaper than a tiller.
now you could look at a spring toothed harrow and disc. i would like to have a spring toothed harrow or field cultivator or as some call them all purpose plows .
i just can't justify a tiller for the price. i think i have around $450 in my disc's and plow. now a tiller is a grand!
you can find used stuff cheap if you look. i bought my 14 " single moldboard for $100 in a auction.cheaper than the 350 spring tooth harrow i found ( i didnt buy it).

the disc and plow method is a little more time consuming but look at it like your spending more time having fun! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Food plots #3  
We plant about an acre south of Fredericksburg, TX every year. That ground is really hard when it is dry. For several years we pulled a tractor down there and tilled it each year. Last year, the landowner offered to let us use his 8N pulling a disc. That worked just as well as the tiller had. However, the soil was fairly easy to turn with the disc probably because it had been tilled for several years.