building our retirement cabin

/ building our retirement cabin #21  
Which RR did you work for CN or CP?
I put in 35.6 at CN and was happy to get out as it wasnt fun anymore
At least your gonna have a nice cabin hope its not near any tracks

/ building our retirement cabin
I worked for CN and for the same reasons I left. Loved the job but could not handle the politics at the end. Thank God for a good pension. Where did you work out of and what did you do?

/ building our retirement cabin #24  
Great thread and a fantastic project. I'm enjoying your progress and admiring your skill. Thank you for sharing!!!!

Eddie

/ building our retirement cabin #25  
I hired on in Niagara Falls and retired from there
They closed the terminal and the yard is now gone but the "material change" was put forth 4 days after I retired so I missed out on the buyout
I was one of only 3 "A" men left so I dont think it was coincidence
I was a conductor even though I went to Gimli in 79 I never became a Hog as I was told I had no respect for management in this case the Master Mechanic. I was glad in a way because being a conductor gave me much better work as opposed to working midnites in the yard switching boxcars
But as you know the spiral into the abyss was quick when Goon Hunter took over the helm-why use 10 spikes when 1 will do?-he was a menace and I feel sorry for the workers at CP now
And yes the pension is fine but we did for the most part work for it
Take care

/ building our retirement cabin #26  
The best way to clean you logs is to wait until the walls are all up, then pressure wash them inside and out with a 3500 psi or better machine. This is a one time thing and it will not damage solid wood. It will blow away any wood that has begun to rot which is a bonus. Once dry you can apply your choice of sealant.

/ building our retirement cabin #28  
Peel them green! Use a draw shave. Get some hired help to do it! (that's what I do)

Be careful using a pressure washer, you can damage the wood if your not careful.

/ building our retirement cabin #29  
Spring 2011 is finally here and we got started again after 7 months of brutal winter. we had lots of help from friends and family to peel logs and we are milling them as they are peeling. we started the build and found out this was far more difficult than we thought.View attachment 302995View attachment 302996View attachment 302997View attachment 302998

Your concrete piers look small, compaired to the large logs! Good thing you have a tractor to move the logs around. What are the dimensions of the cabin, will it have a upper level? Just think about how hard this would be to build this, 100 years ago.:D

Dave

/ building our retirement cabin #30  
Peel them green! Use a draw shave. Get some hired help to do it! (that's what I do)

Be careful using a pressure washer, you can damage the wood if your not careful.

Appreciate it, I will be pealing some hemlock this spring.