building our retirement cabin

/ building our retirement cabin #51  
Looks like you aren't going to have to worry about the roof collapsing with that huge log and 3 8X8's supporting it. Good job! :thumbsup:

/ building our retirement cabin #52  
Anxious to see the foundation.....what's your plan?

/ building our retirement cabin #53  
OK, I'll admit I'm not a fan of the log cabin look; but I'm following this thread to educate myself a bit on them. I assume you'll be leaving the logs exposed on the inside too as part of the rustic look you are seeking. If so, do the exposed logs cause much of a smell inside when the cabin is complete? Or will some sort of sealer be applied to keep the pine odor to a manageable level? I like the smell of pine; but I can see it being like Old Spice cologne on a teenage boy trying to impress a girl...OK in small quantities; but overpowering if too much is used.

/ building our retirement cabin #55  
HOW in the world did you get your front end loader to pick up that ridge pole? My FEL loader has a max of 1,000lb and over 300 of that is taken by the bucket itself. I'm really interested and excited in your project. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

/ building our retirement cabin #57  
Pealing Logs.jpgHauling Logs.jpgMilling Logs.jpgI really like your thread. I plan on building a log cabin as well. I have been preparing hemlock logs. I peeled 109 logs so far. Still haven't started the cabin, to busy with other stuff. Your doing a good job, looking forward to more pictures. Thanks, keep up the good work. One of the pictures I am posting is my mother at 88 years old. I was teasing her and saying should be able to at least peal one log a day. Country girl.

Mother peeling Logs.jpg

/ building our retirement cabin #58  
HOW in the world did you get your front end loader to pick up that ridge pole? My FEL loader has a max of 1,000lb and over 300 of that is taken by the bucket itself.

His Case 730 is a 7000lb tractor. That helps.

When that runs out of capacity I imaging you could start using winches and or come alongs to pull up the logs. One photo shows a roof rafter leaning up on one side of the cabin. I guess after that they pulled it up and over the top.

Attachments

• cabin roof 055.jpg
    cabin roof 055.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 250
   / building our retirement cabin
cabin window 020.jpgDSCF9990.jpgDSCF9993.jpgOur tractor never had any trouble lifting the log one end at a time. When we could not go any higher with the bucket we chained the log to the ridgeboard, then put the jib on the forks and lifted to the top of the rafter bottoms. when we had the 12x 12 uprights in place we put the last of the logs on the end walls. Then we started on the windows at the top.When we were purchasing the metal for the roof the lumber yard had two sets to windows that a customer had rejected on their house. We never planned these windows however the dealer gave us such a great deal we could not turn them down. When we had them in place we were glad we bought them.View attachment 305211cabin window 022.jpg