building our retirement cabin

/ building our retirement cabin #1  

triangel

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland t1510, 730 case
I retired from farming and the railway in 2007 and I worked at several small jobs to stay active however I was bored and my wife and I decided to build a cabin. so we purchased some property up north, then we purchased two hundred logs and we started to clear the lot and build. these pictures are loading and unloading the logs on the lot and clearing it 20100228-200651.JPG20100228-201157.JPG20100228-200234.JPG 2010_0331sumesomme0029.jpg2010_0331sumesomme0039.jpg

/ building our retirement cabin #4  
Good for you! That will keep you fit and out of trouble :) Looking forward to watching your cabin grow.

/ building our retirement cabin #5  
What kind of logs are those and what profile are they going to be(round, scribed, D-shaped etc)?

Dang, that's a big jump on spring for Saskatchewan...burrrrr:D

/ building our retirement cabin #6  
Look forward to following this project. Ad your tractor tires on "backwards"?

/ building our retirement cabin
We started this project in the spring of 2010, after purchasing the logs we decided to buy our own sawmill.The reasoning was to do the job and sell the mill after.Deciding which mill to buy was tough and we had a limited budget so we chose to go with a burg mill manufactured in south west Oregon .The decision was this because of the large throat 42" dia log capacity and the cost. The mill came with a stationary track to set up on the ground. I changed this to mobile frame on wheels with a 24' bed to handle 20' logs. When we got the mill I did not have any knowledge of mills never seen one work so we went into this totally blind but what the heck life's a learning curve and you roll with the punches. we modified the lift as well on the mill as the factory lift was not the best . With these minor changes the mill worked very well and we were happy. The logs we purchased were spruce logs not necessarily the best choice but what was available at our lot. These pics are of the mill as it arrived to its finished state2010_0517logmilling0056.jpgmill in the crate.jpg2010_0401sawframe0002.jpg2010_0517logmilling0063.jpg2010_0519bans0005.jpg

/ building our retirement cabin
If you mean the one on my case yes it is , this tractor i have owned for 40 plus years and when one tire blew i went to a wrecker and he had one for the other side so i put on like that rather than remove the ballast and remount the proper way. Its retired to the cabin just for making firewood now.

/ building our retirement cabin #9  
nice country up there... my wife has a cousin at Rocanville.
we were there last in 2000.

look forward to seeing more pics.

Pete

/ building our retirement cabin #10  
If there's one thing to cure boredom it's building a cabin in Saskatchewan. It's a nice place to visit but can't say I'd like to live there in winter. Good luck with your cabin, make sure the lumber is dry before using.