1967 m416 trailer

/ 1967 m416 trailer #1  

moojamboo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1710
Hi all,

Just picked up a 1967 m416 1/4 ton trailer. Going to use with tractor for firewood, and jeep for general wood scrounging in general. I am sure lots of other uses as well.

photo.JPG

Anyway she needs some tlc. I am interested in sandblasting the trailer, fixing metal, then paint and herculiner. I was thinking of buying a sandblasting kit to use with my compressor but have read a lot about the problems with old paint. This trailer has layer upon later paint, flaking pretty badly. I don't want it around my property (pets and 3 month old) nor trickled into my well, let alone breathing, in the shop, tools, garage, etc.

Can someone explain sandblasting to me? My wife wants me to take it there as is and just "have them do it". I would think that all the parts need to come apart first, or do they just do it as is put together? If I want a real good job wouldn't I want it apart to get into every nook and crany? Am I going to have the same lead issues in my gear simply taking it apart, it's flaking everywhere....

What type of cost is reasonable for the sand blasting? 109 inches tip of hitch to back, bed about 4 feet by 5 feet by 18 inches tall. Is cost different if I bring them separate parts vs. the trailer as is?

Advice would be appreciated!

/ 1967 m416 trailer #2  
To get a good job the trailer will need to be taken apart. If you will pay I am sure that someone would like to take it apart spray and reassemble. It is all up to you.

/ 1967 m416 trailer
yeah, that's what I thought. If I take it apart, and I going to run into the flaky paint becoming an issue? So long as I don't grind it into dust (really just freeing up rusted bolts, separating metal) and I going to need get expensive respirators and worry about the paint?

/ 1967 m416 trailer #4  
Considering the work you intend to do (with the trailer) and that the rust appears to be surface only (no deep stuff), I'd take it to a blaster and see what they suggest....which will probably be pulling the wheels and bearings.
Now, I'm thinking you'll want a serviceable trailer, not a show piece.

/ 1967 m416 trailer
I want it protected and want it to last, but also want something fairly utilitarian. I want to use it! Any idea on cost? Even ballpark?

How much snow you guys get in Randolph? Up here in Underhill we got maybe 8 inches....

/ 1967 m416 trailer #6  
I want it protected and want it to last, but also want something fairly utilitarian. I want to use it! Any idea on cost? Even ballpark?

How much snow you guys get in Randolph? Up here in Underhill we got maybe 8 inches....

Can't help you on the prices...we're recent transplants to Vermont.
However, I'd guess for just blasting (no primer or paint), you'll be in the $200-$500 range (the higher end if the blast shop has to pull the wheels and bearings). There is probably a minimum charge (hence the $200). But, that is a guess and might be way off base.

As far as snow, we got about 10-12 inches total. The wind was blowing with some gusting, so it's hard to tell exactly how much. The wind was not that strong today, but it was a biting cold wind chill.

/ 1967 m416 trailer
Thank you for the link!

I just got the bed of mine separated from the frame today...going to wait to talk to the sand blaster tomorrow before taking it off...will use my bucket to lift a bit then roll the frame out. I think at least.

/ 1967 m416 trailer #9  
Thanks for the picture

/ 1967 m416 trailer #10  
Let someone else do the blasting. I got my snow plow completely done for $125 a few years ago.

Chris