Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Ford 1710

Default 1967 m416 trailer

Hi all,

Just picked up a 1967 m416 1/4 ton trailer. Going to use with tractor for firewood, and jeep for general wood scrounging in general. I am sure lots of other uses as well.

-photo-jpg

Anyway she needs some tlc. I am interested in sandblasting the trailer, fixing metal, then paint and herculiner. I was thinking of buying a sandblasting kit to use with my compressor but have read a lot about the problems with old paint. This trailer has layer upon later paint, flaking pretty badly. I don't want it around my property (pets and 3 month old) nor trickled into my well, let alone breathing, in the shop, tools, garage, etc.

Can someone explain sandblasting to me? My wife wants me to take it there as is and just "have them do it". I would think that all the parts need to come apart first, or do they just do it as is put together? If I want a real good job wouldn't I want it apart to get into every nook and crany? Am I going to have the same lead issues in my gear simply taking it apart, it's flaking everywhere....

What type of cost is reasonable for the sand blasting? 109 inches tip of hitch to back, bed about 4 feet by 5 feet by 18 inches tall. Is cost different if I bring them separate parts vs. the trailer as is?

Advice would be appreciated!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Default Re: 1967 m416 trailer

To get a good job the trailer will need to be taken apart. If you will pay I am sure that someone would like to take it apart spray and reassemble. It is all up to you.

Tractor
    Ford 1710

yeah, that's what I thought. If I take it apart, and I going to run into the flaky paint becoming an issue? So long as I don't grind it into dust (really just freeing up rusted bolts, separating metal) and I going to need get expensive respirators and worry about the paint?

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Considering the work you intend to do (with the trailer) and that the rust appears to be surface only (no deep stuff), I'd take it to a blaster and see what they suggest....which will probably be pulling the wheels and bearings.
    Now, I'm thinking you'll want a serviceable trailer, not a show piece.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Ford 1710

I want it protected and want it to last, but also want something fairly utilitarian. I want to use it! Any idea on cost? Even ballpark?

How much snow you guys get in Randolph? Up here in Underhill we got maybe 8 inches....

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by moojamboo View Post
    I want it protected and want it to last, but also want something fairly utilitarian. I want to use it! Any idea on cost? Even ballpark?

How much snow you guys get in Randolph? Up here in Underhill we got maybe 8 inches....
    Can't help you on the prices...we're recent transplants to Vermont.
    However, I'd guess for just blasting (no primer or paint), you'll be in the $200-$500 range (the higher end if the blast shop has to pull the wheels and bearings). There is probably a minimum charge (hence the $200). But, that is a guess and might be way off base.

As far as snow, we got about 10-12 inches total. The wind was blowing with some gusting, so it's hard to tell exactly how much. The wind was not that strong today, but it was a biting cold wind chill.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Bolens (Iseki) H1502; LS R3039

You may also want to check this thread out for ideas as you work on it....

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...-new-post.html

Tractor
    Ford 1710

Thank you for the link!

I just got the bed of mine separated from the frame today...going to wait to talk to the sand blaster tomorrow before taking it off...will use my bucket to lift a bit then roll the frame out. I think at least.

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Thanks for the picture
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Let someone else do the blasting. I got my snow plow completely done for $125 a few years ago.

Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast