basement kitchen plumbing

/ basement kitchen plumbing #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
i'm going to build a kitchen in the basement. it will be used as a commercial kitchen initially to prepare fresh pasta. there is no plan to have a commode but a sink is necessary. what is the usual method used to pump the waste water up to the drainage line, which is 7' or so above the floor? how do you vent a drain like that?

/ basement kitchen plumbing #2  
You will need what they call a septic sump pump they're not cheap by the way and they are little difficult to get put in I will attach a picture of one for you....... good luck Sump-Pump.jpg

/ basement kitchen plumbing #3  
We use both the sump type and the self contained toilet type with sinks plumbed in systems at work. Both work well. Both systems have some sort of vent, I just can not picture that clearly. The self contained system was a simple retrofit for a space like a basement.
Cam

/ basement kitchen plumbing #4  
I have seen toilets, showers, and sinks in a basement but never a commercial kitchen. I would worry about food waste and one of them pumps. Seems like clogs would be a real issue.

Chris

/ basement kitchen plumbing #5  
I have seen toilets, showers, and sinks in a basement but never a commercial kitchen. I would worry about food waste and one of them pumps. Seems like clogs would be a real issue.

Chris

I think a "grinder" pump is what they are called. Very typical in basement bathroom retro-fits. And as noted above, they don't look cheap!

/ basement kitchen plumbing #6  
They make some that don't require digging them down in. They can go under a cabinet/counter. They are referred to as macerator pumps.
I just installed a small version for a shower only, it sit's under the cabinet.
Products for adaptable grinders

/ basement kitchen plumbing
the only thing i'm draining is a sink. don't be misled by commercial kitchen, its just a kitchen that can pass inspection for the production of fresh pasta. there is minimal water use involved. i was thinking of something like this under the sink in a tub. they have containers that are used for sump pumps. that should work for this.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/74/744ddebb-7531-4e85-be2f-108aff31484a.pdf

if i set something like this up i don't think i need a vent. the sink drain goes into the container.

/ basement kitchen plumbing #8  
Randy you have two things going on, in my mind. First you mentioned inspection, that is where you need to start and ask what they require. It does not matter what will get by if you have to be inspected. Second, don't ever use the words "commercial" or "production" when you talk to an inspector or apply for a permit. Those words get into a whole different set of rules. Now if you are planning on doing anything to sell, then that brings up a bunch more issues. Good-luck.

MarkV

/ basement kitchen plumbing #9  
What MarkV said, plus both the sink drain and the pump have to be vented.

E/S

/ basement kitchen plumbing #10  
Do NOT...........DO NOT! forget your check valve!!!!!!!!!
Your upstairs waste lines MUST be separated from your new lower waste lines by a check valve...........3" check........ask for it at your plumbing supply.
If your upstairs backs up.......the first place it will go is your basement.....trust me......I know.