Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N

BTW, this leanto is already built. Probably about 25 years ago. It has plywood sheathing on the roof with a steel panel roof.

I can't add an additional rafters easily and can't build anything on top of the rafters.

I want to safely be able to lift a max of 1000 pounds with either a chainfall or an electric motorized cable hoist.

My research tells me that 1.25" schedule 40 pipe will be strong enough for a 24" span. I just need to determine an appropriate way to attach it and determine if some upgrade is needed for the rafters that I can afford and can do myself.

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

I would sister the rafter all the way - wall to wall, with 1/2 ply glued and screwed in between. Then I would repeat the same on the next rafter. Finally, I would install two rows of blocking the full length on the lean to. You wouldn't have to use 2x12 for the blocking, I wouldn't use less then 2x8.

The blocking will transfer the load onto adjacent rafters - past your pipe.

As a "safety", string a mason line taught wall to wall at the bottom edge of a rafter. Tap a nail in as a reference point into the rafter, under the mason line. When applying a load, keep you eye on the line. If the nail separates from the line more than say 1/2"-3/4", you have reached your "pucker factor load limit"
    Dean

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default Re: Support for Chainfall.

I agree - sister it all the way. if you dont- you are just adding more dead weight. blocking is a great idea - similar to building a beam to go across a few rafters.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: Support for Chainfall.

you could get one of these, and use it other places when needed.

1 Ton Telescoping Gantry Crane

For reinforced wood beams, here is some good reading:
    Structural Design in Wood - Judith J. Stalnaker, Ernest C. Harris - Google Books

Bruce

Tractor
    Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N

Quote Originally Posted by Depmandog View Post
    I would sister the rafter all the way - wall to wall, with 1/2 ply glued and screwed in between. Then I would repeat the same on the next rafter. Finally, I would install two rows of blocking the full length on the lean to. You wouldn't have to use 2x12 for the blocking, I wouldn't use less then 2x8.

The blocking will transfer the load onto adjacent rafters - past your pipe.

As a "safety", string a mason line taught wall to wall at the bottom edge of a rafter. Tap a nail in as a reference point into the rafter, under the mason line. When applying a load, keep you eye on the line. If the nail separates from the line more than say 1/2"-3/4", you have reached your "pucker factor load limit"
    Ok, what you say makes sense. I'll do it the way you suggested. Thanks very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12