Post Repair on Porch - Your Comments

/ Post Repair on Porch - Your Comments #1  

rich_ncal

Gold Member
Tractor
TS1610
The front porch on my house had wood beams sitting on concrete. The ends of these posts developed rot.

I was thinking of cutting off the rotten sections and building up a concrete section under each post with a post base set in the concrete. Instead I cut off the rotten ends and added a 10" section of pressure treated 6x6 to the end of each post. I also added a post base and that post base bolted to the concrete. Then I added the heavy metal plates on opposite sides, two on each post.

Two of the post are 10 foot that tie into horizontal 6x6 beams above. They also attach to the porch as shown in the attached pictures.

One of the 6x6" posts is about 18 foot tall. For this one the other end is at a roof ridge beam. It is also attached to the porch and the horizontal 6x6s above.

Many of the posters on this site have years of construction experience. What comments do you experts have on how I the added 10" sections of 6x6?

Attachments

• IMG_0178 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_0178 (768x1024).jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0177 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_0177 (768x1024).jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 289
   / Post Repair on Porch - Your Comments #2  
Looks like you did a fine job. Should last for years. I assume it is treated wood?

/ Post Repair on Porch - Your Comments #3  
Looks good.

Eddie

/ Post Repair on Porch - Your Comments #4  
What do the heavy metal plates do? Are the down in the concrete?

/ Post Repair on Porch - Your Comments #5  
It wouldn't hurt to add plates to the other side of that leg- just in case there was movement of some sort the other way. Normally I would have replaced that whole post , the cost of bolts and metal plate would have been more then the cost of a new post - unless you were working with what you have on hand "for free".

/ Post Repair on Porch - Your Comments
What do the heavy metal plates do? Are the down in the concrete?

My thought is metal plates provide resistance to wind lift. They also provide resistance to the 10 section moving or bending out in any direction. I also included wood glue at the joint of the 10 section to the post above. The standoff below the post ties into the concrete.

Normally I would have replaced that whole post , the cost of bolts and metal plate would have been more then the cost of a new post - unless you were working with what you have on hand "for free".

Yes at $6ea for the metal plates, plus about $2ea for the screws, it did cost $28 per post to add these plates. A pressure treated 6x6, 8 foot long cost about $35 at the lumber yard closet to me, these posts are longer.

If these were free standing post I would have replaced them. These three posts are an integral part of the porch and one of them goes all the way to the roof line. Replacing these three would have required a great of work. Yes at $6 ea for the metal plates, plus about $2ea for the screws into the plates it did cost $28 per post to add these plates. A pressure treated 6x6, 8 foot long cost about $35 at the location lumber yard closest to me, these are longer.

I also like the look of the black metal plates. Another current thread "New Home Begins" has a great room with raised roof with the interior roof beams connected with metal plates. I think that interior looks great with all open beams the black metal connectors.

Thank you all for your comments. I have learned a great deal from this site.

Attachments

• IMG_0180 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_0180 (768x1024).jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0181 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_0181 (768x1024).jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0182 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_0182 (768x1024).jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 162