Better way to...

/ Better way to... #1  

DJFireUSA

Bronze Member
Tractor
T233
There has to be a better way to do a ditch here.

I got this far by jacking my box blade as much as I could and cutting into the hill next to the driveway a bit but I have done about all I can with the box blade.

I ditched along the road (FEL) without an issue but this was not compacted clay. The soil next to the driveway is compacted clay. The FEL is struggling with it a bit.

Any ideas?

IMG_20130218_102759_zps9be57f9c.jpg

IMG_20130218_102741_zps7b58edd0.jpg

IMG_20130218_102632_zps9dbb6690.jpg

Ignore the section between the house and driveway as it's in transition. Changing the grade for smaller veggie garden... Just included to give an idea of surrounding area

IMG_20130218_102818_zps1e5ff653.jpg

IMG_20130218_102720_zps1c585aef.jpg

/ Better way to... #2  
Back Blade with offset and tilt would be my choice.

/ Better way to... #3  
Back Blade with offset and tilt would be my choice.

My suggestion too, use the box blade backwards slowly, (you can damage them bend arms etc) as you cut into the hill a pile will form, pull out use FEL to pull it out and move the spoiles out to a low spot you need to build up. head back and start where you left off and making FULL PASSES to keep the ditch level. By off setting the box blade you can get it to the left or right (push down hill let gravity help you.) If you can adding a WING to offset and remove some of the hillside could help and dropping just the lower ripper & flipping it backwards can get some of that clay busted up.

Mark

/ Better way to... #4  
Do you have teeth on the FEL? I can dig pretty well with mine. I redid my ditch going on the road at a 90 to the ditch and "digging" with FEL from both sides. I can get pretty deep with it.

/ Better way to... #5  
Do you have a one bottom plow? have seen it done before and it worked.

/ Better way to... #6  
+1 on the turning plow. Even a two bottom would work.

/ Better way to... #7  
even a few chisel shanks and points, on a tool bar to break it up,

/ Better way to...
Some points to consider....

Here I was yesterday, all excited that things were, yeah... were, drying out. Got some grading done and then 8 hours of rain starting about 1 am this morning... grrrr Gotta wait for things to dry out again.

Here are the "wet" pics...
IMG_20130219_095722_zps879e4a9d.jpg

IMG_20130219_095818_zpsf6b55b31.jpg

IMG_20130219_095845_zps217413a1.jpg

No, it's not done yet

Odd question perhaps.. is there an inexpensive way to change the 3pt adjustment link to hydraulic or electric? All my current hydro's are being used for the FEL and I don't know if there is an electric adjuster that would do the job so I can tilt on the fly.

/ Better way to... #9  
I use a box blade and rear blade but it must be "bone" dry or it will just wad up.