Log skidding chains

/ Log skidding chains #11  
I use 1/4". This oak stem weighs a few pounds shy of 2000#. The chain is 25 years old. I have broken it once but quik linked it up so its still going. Anything heavier I'd recommend 5/16". You'll be a lot more efficient if you used the 3 pt and get the traction aid of a raised log.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 319
   / Log skidding chains #12  
Just thought I would add, A grade 70 5/16 chain is rated considerably higher than a 3/8 grade 43 chain.

/ Log skidding chains #13  
That tree in the first photo must be a "dogwood"?? :D

5/16" is fine, especially at your size tractor. Much easier to cart around than 3/8". If you can find the choker style hooks, they work better than regular slip hooks, IMHO. Chains stay in them a bit better - they have a more rounded shape.

wallingfords-images-forestry_choker-250x250.gif

/ Log skidding chains #14  
   / Log skidding chains #15  
I looked at TSC for a chain to do the very same thing. Before buying I walked over to a Home Depot store and they had 20 ft of "tow chain" 5/16 with double hooks at half the price of putting a 12' one together from TSC. I hang a bag from my drawbar with the extra chain and pull it out and hook onto a drawbar hook as needed. Works great.

/ Log skidding chains #16  
I haven't looked lately but Lowes was selling US made 5/16" Gr70 chain for about the same price as the Chinese stuff TSC sells.

/ Log skidding chains #17  
Doesn't pay to make chains. :)

The local farm supply has bulk 5/16 G70 for $4.67 ft, = $93.40 for 20ft, plus the cost of two hooks.

Same brand, grade, size, length ready-made tow chain with two hooks was $39.99

Bruce

/ Log skidding chains #18  
I have all sizes but for pulling most down stuff I use 1/4" G70. Light and strong. For some real big stuff I use 3/8" but its heavy

Chris

/ Log skidding chains #19  
bcp,

Sounds like the price from Van-Port Rigging near Costco in Vancouver. I found rigging supply shops provide better pricing and will build what you want in the various lenghts and grades.

idaho2

/ Log skidding chains
Doesn't pay to make chains. :)

The local farm supply has bulk 5/16 G70 for $4.67 ft, = $93.40 for 20ft, plus the cost of two hooks.

Same brand, grade, size, length ready-made tow chain with two hooks was $39.99

Bruce

Yup, found this out today. Ended up buying 2 20' 5/16 G70 tow chains for $37 each from Home Depot. Each chain has 2 hooks.