Log skidding chains

/ Log skidding chains #21  
Yup, found this out today. Ended up buying 2 20' 5/16 G70 tow chains for $37 each from Home Depot. Each chain has 2 hooks.

That a pretty good deal. We have Home Depot/ Lowes stores out of town about 1 hr away. Next time I am there, I am gonna look into it. I have always bought them at the farm coops for more than that as it was posted by bcp. You can never have to many chains. LUTT

/ Log skidding chains
I also picked up a set of log tongs. I've never used one before but have heard good things about them. Anybody have experience with them?

image-72451187.jpg

/ Log skidding chains #23  
We use tongs all the time. Put a 5' 5/16" chain on it and hang from the centre hook on my loader bucket to pick up logs and place on the sawmill. I have a spotter balance the log and control the spin as the tractor takes all the weight. No muss no fuss.

/ Log skidding chains #24  
I like about 12-15' of main chain. Slip (choker) hook on one end for the log, grab hook on the other. I also have 3 five foot chains that are also slip hook one end, grab hook on the other. I hook the main chain as short as possible after pulling the log over to the trail, then add other logs with the 5' chains, keeping them as short as possible.
I also prefer to haul slow and from a raised drawpoint on my 3pth, but I have hydrostat so don't need to find and depress a clutch to keep the front end down. I am more likely to loose traction than raise the front.
Any chain over 5/16 is too heavy for my maple, oak and birch...

/ Log skidding chains #25  
I also picked up a set of log tongs. I've never used one before but have heard good things about them. Anybody have experience with them?

View attachment 304260
I've alo been eying these but have not seen them locally. Northern Products sells these for around $79. Let us know how you like them for skidding. Some guys chain up the log as well as using tongs. If I'm going to do that, I just as soon as continue to use just the chain as to me the whole point of the tongs is to reduce the amount of times one is mounting and dismounting. An alleged advantage of the one's you have is that the points seem to be able to rotate so the log is more likely to stay on. Once you use it, please keep us informed of how well they work for you.

Last edited:
   / Log skidding chains #26  
I have all sizes but for pulling most down stuff I use 1/4" G70. Light and strong. For some real big stuff I use 3/8" but its heavy

Chris
I do the same thing, have two 8' chains that are 1/4 that I use for almost everything. My tractor is only a 25 hp sub and they work great for most. I have a 3/8 12' chain that is hooked to the big saw log that I pulled 40 yards and could get it no farther. Will work on it another day.

/ Log skidding chains #27  
Ended up buying 2 20' 5/16 G70 tow chains for $37 each from Home Depot. Each chain has 2 hooks.

Use a diamond grit blade in a Sawzall and cut 20' chain into 8' + 12' lengths. You will use the 8' length 80% of the time.

I do not think there is a tractor under 50-hp that can break 5/16" X G70 on dirt. Your compact tractor tires will lose traction before you can stress the chain.

Be careful when pulling with chains on concrete. It is amazing how fast concrete can abraid chain when it is weighted down with something heavy, like a log.

I pull from an OMNI Hanging Tree attached to cross-drawbar stabilizer. It is a very good rig but weighs, maybe, 65 pounds. Here is what I would buy today:

Norwood Log Hog Log Skidder Tractor Attachment, Model# 41255 Log Hog | Log Skidding| Northern Tool + Equipment

I have log tongs somewhere in the shop but have not used them for a long time. More effort needed than with my Hanging Tree rig.

Next you need chain grab hooks for your bucket, mounted in line with lift arm hydraulic cylinders. I have Ken's bolt on grab hooks and highly recommend them. The 5/16" hooks will securely "grab" 3/8", 5/16", 1/4" and 3/16" chain; almost universal chain fit.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks

Tractor: Kubota B3300SU = 33-hp / 1,900 pounds​

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
   / Log skidding chains #28  
My tractors are 38 and 46 HP. I use 1/4" G70 chain for skidding trees up to 24" diameter. May be just luck, but I have never broken one in over 30 years of use. I have several 5/16" and 3/8" chains that never get used because the 1/4" feels lighter and is easier to handle.

/ Log skidding chains #29  
Just thought I would add, A grade 70 5/16 chain is rated considerably higher than a 3/8 grade 43 chain.

The chart I have does not agree with that statement:
Chain WLL2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Log skidding chains #30  
The chart I have does not agree with that statement:
View attachment 304828
My mistake, sorry. I thought my 3/8 was grade 43 , it turns out it is grade 30 (2650 lbs.) It is still new in the package (garage sale find) . I have always used my grade 70 5/16 off my rollback. Can't use anything less than grade 70 for tow trucks.