Log skidding chains

/ Log skidding chains #1  

El Wood

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
What size and length of chain do you guys use for log skidding?

In the next couple days, I'll be clearing a large area of trees. Tree size range from small to large oaks. I don't have a lot of experience doing this but thought I would head to Tractor Supple and get a couple different lengths / gauges. I was also thinking about picking up a set of tongs. And advice? Here are a couple pics of the job site. Thanks!

image-1493898274.jpg

image-3855086476.jpg

/ Log skidding chains #2  
i use either 3/8 chain or 5/16 chain for when i do firewood. i used the 3/8 chain in the past, but when i got my winch, it was all set up for 5/16. i was a little sceptical at first, but no problems with the 5/16 70 grade chain. mine are approx 8ft in length and i have slip hooks on the end. the tree diameters i winch/skid are between 8" to up to 36" diameter. i have no experience with tongs.

/ Log skidding chains #3  
I use 5/16 grade 70 chain with a 44HP tractor. I have log tongs but rarely ever use them. I have a short chain I use as a choker and more than a few longer chains. Always best to pull with the draw bar because you can flip you tractor.

/ Log skidding chains #4  
Same here, a 5/16" chain is the better choice for moderate skidding like ours, and they are easier to handle. Mine are not grade 70 but are still plenty strong for my DK35. I keep 8' and 15' on the tractor and use the 8' if possible.

The chains are kept in holders made from short lengths of vertical plastic pipe as shown in other threads.

/ Log skidding chains #5  
I also use 5/16 grade 70 chains for skidding, easier for me to manage. Skidded some good sized stuff and hadnt broke one yet. Most of what I skid is for firewood. LUTT

/ Log skidding chains #6  
Like others, I have multiple chains: 5/16 grade 70 and 3/8 grade 43, with a 35hp tractor and 6500lb skidding winch with 5/16 cable. The winch has a slip clutch. The short choke chains are all 5/16 gr70. There have been no problems so far in more than a year of dragging salvage timber out of my steep woods.

/ Log skidding chains #7  
I have used 3/8 grade 70, because I use the same chains for tying down equipment. I agree with the other member regarding pulling from the Drawbar. Best wishes.

/ Log skidding chains
Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate your help. And I'll definitely only be using the drawbar.

/ Log skidding chains #9  
I think 3/8 is a bit heavy for what it is your actually pulling, 5/16 should defiantly do the job and you'll probably enjoy the lighter weight of it. I use normal slip hooks so the chain can choke tight around the log, grab hooks work too just seem a little more tedious to get them to set into the log sometimes.

/ Log skidding chains #10  
Watched a guy skid some logs this weekend after a tornado passed through our area. Looked like he had a draw bar between the lift arms with a set of tongs attached to it. He could back up over a log drop down to latch onto the log, lift to slightly raise the end and off he went. He could drop the log at his destination, back up slightly and the tongs would turn loose and then he was off to the next log. Very efficient way to move logs. As others have mentioned, have to becareful not to snag an immovable object and flip the tractor over. Found this thread while searching for information on tongs and draw bars.