Excavation of ditch

/ Excavation of ditch #1  

ih784

I'm getting ready to excavate an existing 200' ditch it is only 18-20" deep now and that was done with a 3 to 1 approximately 11-12' bucket. It was dug to provide drainage along a private easement. The individuals using the easement saw it as a deturant more than something that would help them. driving through open farm with no drainage whatsoever. So the neighbors decided to drive their atvs and trucks Down the middle of it. So it has caved in and looks pretty messed up and wont drain. What I'm looking at doing now is digging down 4-5 feet the entire length of 200' and instead of using a gradual slope the can play in, I'd like to use a steeper bucket. What I am concerned with is the walls caving in on the sides a bit. What kind of bucket/ slope should I be looking at. The soil is a majority of clay with some sand.

Thanks for the advice guys!:cool2:

/ Excavation of ditch #2  
Just clean out the present ditch and leave vertical side slopes. They will sluff off to the natural angle of repose for the soil.

At intervals place large rocks across the ditch to slow Down running water and prevent erosion.:thumbsup:

Might even put in a few deeper sections that will not drain completely. Just something the local birds may make use of for drinking and bathing. Maybe even mud for nests?:D